Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Neck/throat spasms

It has been a while since I’ve been here. I just had my one year post op for fusion of 3-4 and 4-5 (5-6 done in 2016). My x-rays looked good, as I expected (I tend to heal well), but since the first fusion, and more so since the second, I get periodic spasms, sometimes in the front throat area, sometimes the side and/or back of my neck, and up into my lower head. It is more apt to happen when I yawn while looking down, but also happens during stretching after exercise class, or when doing some of my physical therapist prescribed stretches. Sheesh.

Anyone else ever have this? I mentioned it to the NS at my post op, and he suggested trying an anti-inflammatory (otc) and is sending me back to PT, and to see him again next month. I have continued the PT exercises fairly regularly (not daily, I admit, but certainly often enough) and have had this all along. Wondering what the odds we will find a solution. I can live with it (I have thus far, after all!) but prefer to get rid of it. 

advertisement

Comments

• Lea, I’m 4 years post OP from the same and still experience the same spasms. I’m due in Feb for my next appt with my surgeon due to the psuedoarthrosis, and the original symptoms pre OP have returned so should be interesting lol. Hang in there!

DavidG

Veritas-Health Forum Moderator

• MikethepikeMMikethepike MIchiganPosts: 673

Hi Lea,   I don’t have spasms but over the last three years I have had a tightening around my whole neck,  what I was told by my neurologist was it was due to my spinal cord injury.  He said I have muscle atrophy due to the fusion and spasticity.  It’s very bothersome but I can eat OK except for small pieces of food and pills, I have to drink water with the pills and swallow A couple times.

• advertisement
  • Mike, that sounds awkward, for sure! When I was post op, I had trouble swallowing, but that came back. I'm starting to "feel" it when I swallow again, but - I think in this case, it may be my thyroid. (I have two nodules, the larger of which was biopsied in the spring. I wouldn't be surprised if they have continued to grow.)

• MikethepikeMMikethepike MIchiganPosts: 673

It was five years ago yesterday I broke my neck. At first I was coping with it pretty well, then it started going downhill slowly. I’ve been through physical therapy quite a few times over the last five years maybe 10 to 15 times. My muscle Atrophy over the last six months has gotten really bad.  Stiffness and body tightness muscle tightness has gotten terrible .  By the way I’m from Michigan and I hate winters . I used to love them. Take care Lea  and God bless 

• LynnonthehenLLynnonthehen OklahomaPosts: 1
    edited 12/13/2018 - 1:34 PM

I have those strange episodes of my throat tightening up. I feel like I want to cough when this happens. It happens random for me. I have also had to slow down while eating or drinking since my two level cervical disc replacement (Mobi-c) 2 years ago. I seem to get choked easily. I also have a stabbing pain in the back of my throat when I swallow sometimes.

• advertisement
advertisement