Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Bracing after Surgery

I had surgery 4 weeks ago, T10 to pelvis fusion. Doing very well, I think!  I was fitted for a rigid brace, which is helpful while driving or while doing somethhing other than relaxing. Just wondering how many other people with this surgery have to wear one? How do I attach pictures here? Thank you for any feedback!

advertisement

Comments

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,587

Seems that different surgeons go for braces while others do not.  If you read most of the forums, you will see its almost a 60-40 split in not having braces.  However, with yours being a long fusion, there may not have been any other options.

To post a picture, use the Attach image button on this WYSIWSY editor. (5th from right button)

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • I had to wear a brace anytime I was out of the house for 4 weeks, then only while in a car for 8 weeks it was a pain but felt it was necessary

challenger
    Veritas-Health Moderator

• advertisement
  • I had a T9 - S1 fusion and wore a rigid TLSO brace 24/7 (except for showering) for 16 weeks.  I actually didn't mind it and kind of felt like it taught me how to move or more how NOT to move.  By the end of 16 weeks I was getting used to the not twisting and bending lifestyle we all have to live after these LONG fusions.  About a month after weaning off the brace I had to fly and I wore on the airplane.  I felt it gave me an extra feeling of security going thru the crowded airports and TSA lines and also filled in the gap in the lumbar area found on most aircraft seats.

10 level fusion T9 - S1 with pelvic fixation. Two titanium rods, 24 screws, 4 cages.

Firm believer in PMA

• WLLadyWLLady Ontario CanadaPosts: 1,493

Hi BarbieF

Welcome to the forum!

i have 10 levels fused and did not get a brace at all!

I'm glad you are doing well!  and yep, the big thing is not BLTing.  it's a long haul....i am 2 years in 2 days from now!  and doing things i never thought i would ever do again (within reason of course). 

Kathy
    Veritas-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Dec '16 T10-S2 fusion with pelvic fixation. Laminectomies L2, L3, L4, L5, facet removal, cages L4-5, L5-S1, severe scoliosis, arthritis and stenosis repair. 

advertisement