Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Vbt

My daughter got diagnosed in June with scoliosis.  Now its over a 50 curve .  The doctor said she need a operation.  He gave us a choice.   The regular spinal fusion or a new procedure called vertabral body tethering  (vbt).  My doctor only did 7 operation like this before with great success.  Only 5 doctors do it in Canada.   I would like to know if anyone did vbt and would recommend it . I dont know what to do .  

advertisement

Comments

• WLLadyWLLady Ontario CanadaPosts: 1,433

Hi niki200

Welcome to spine health! 

I have zero experience with the vbt, but there have been a few other people here on the forum that have been inquiring about it, hopefully they will chip in their findings here soon!  i'm sorry your daughter needs surgery-i can tell you from experience that the posterior approach fusion with bars and screws is a long recovery-i had 10 levels done but i am much older than your daughter.  Kids seem to be much more resilient and heal faster than at least i do....

Can you get more information from your doctor about the procedure, and discuss the outcomes that he has had with previous patients?  i know my surgeon didn't even suggest it in my case, but i was over 100 degrees on the operating table, and i don't think i had much in the way of options.....

Good luck to you and your daughter!  and welcome again to the forum!

Kathy
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Dec '16 T10-S2 fusion with pelvic fixation. Laminectomies L2, L3, L4, L5, facet removal, cages L4-5, L5-S1, severe scoliosis, arthritis and stenosis repair. 

• I would definitely do your daughter a favor and get the VBT. Even if the surgery fails, which is unlikely because it’s a very simply procedure, it can be undone very easily and you can get spinal fusion. Spinal fusion is permanent, I had it done at age 14 and my life has been miserable ever since. 

• advertisement