Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Painful Life

I am new to this board. I have been suffering from spinal stenosis and degenerative disk disease for 19 yrs. Along with 4 back surgerys. I also had surgery for a spinal cord stimulator, which didn't help at all. I'm here today to let you know, I am now pain free! I had a morphine pain pump installed Tuesday. The surgeon put it in my lower upper left buttocks and an incision where the cath. goes in. I am a week out. My pain is gone, I don't know what to do with myself I am so so happy! Hardly any pain with the incision either. 

My surgeon decided to put it in this area because patients had complain to him that the pump was floating up under the ribs and cause pain. The usual spot was across from the belly button.

I heard that the recovery is longer and more painful when they put the pump across from the belly button. 

If anyone has any questions I would be happy to let you know.

advertisement

Comments

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 5,916

PainfulLady
    Welcome to Spine Health
    All new members should take the System Tutorial

Finally, a post about a good outcome!! Thank you so much for posting your experience with your pain pump. I also have a pain pump since Jan. 2017. But my story has been an uphill battle because of all of my other medical issues. 
    Thank you again and I'm so glad you are pain free.

Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • hvillshhvills Suzhou, ChinaPosts: 971

That's really great that you now have such good relief after all this time...

Not being so familar with pain pumps... is there any issue with the long term use of morphine??  I guess the pump is located on the outside of your bpdy somehow so it can be refilled from time to tme.  Yes? No? Maybe?    Do you have control of the daily rate/flow of the pump?? 

I only briefly had a pain pump in the hospital 1-2 days after my fusion surgeries which had a button I could press to give me a quick shot of pain killer once an hour or as I needed.   So it was manual but had programming to avoid over usage.

Harry - 65 year old male...
    PLIF L4-L5-S1 due to disc degeneration... May 23, 2013
    PLIF L5-S1 due to failed fusion and broken screw... Jan 19, 2015
    Microdiscectomy, decompression L3-L4 due to herniated disc... Jan 19, 2015
  • advertisement
  • memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 5,916

hvills
    A pain pump is implanted, usually in the stomach area where there is fat. They make a pocket out of the fat to fit it in. The catheter runs from the pump, intertwined around your spinal column going up (mine is at T10) and the tip inserted into the interthecal canal. The morphine stays in the canal, does not go to your organs or brain. 
    The daily rate is set by the doctor and most pumps hold 40 mg. Once every couple of months I go for a refill where he finds the port, sticks a needle in, pulls out what is left, flushes it out and puts the new in. I also have a remote devise called a bolus shot that I can give myself every 2 hrs. But it only covers pain in the spine. This was just a simple way of explaining it, if you have more questions please ask.

Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History