Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

How does it feel when a lumbar disc herniates?

joowee40joowee40 Mississippi Posts: 297

I've had 2 cervical surgeries and now my lower back is killing me suddenly for the last 3 wks and it's not getting any better. I can hardly bend forward, getting up and down makes me Yelp, walking is tough and some days I can barely put weight on my left leg bc it hurts my back so much. 

I'm seriously concerned that I've herniated a disc so I thought I would come ask you lumbar folks, from your experience, what did it feel like when u blew a disc and does what I described sound like what may have happened? The holidays are going to slow down seeing my surgeon and getting an MRI so in the meantime my mind is whirling wondering what is wrong..I had a bad fall down some steps a bit more than a month ago and I was busy protecting my neck and keeping my head from hitting to save my 9mth old posterior revision that I landed hard on my rear and things have been not great since then and may have jarred my fusion aloose. 

Julie

advertisement

Comments

• L4_L5LL4_L5 Posts: 1,426
    edited 12/26/2018 - 4:38 AM

If me I would let more time pass. To me three weeks is not much time. If the eight week mark isn’t any better I would ask my PCP for a referral to a neurosurgeon.

• It's a good sign that you didn't mention any pain in your legs as far as sciatica goes but I would not hesitate to see a doctor just in case, hopefully it's just muscle pain or bruising.

challenger
    Veritas-Health Moderator

• advertisement
  • memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,260

To keep from guessing, worry and wondering, I'd make an appointment to see someone. 

Sandra
    Veritas-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • Like lightning pain in the lower back (for me). That was 6 months ago. It now shows up as muscle spasms in that area. Get an MRI.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,433

As what L4_L5 stated, 3 weeks is not a long time.  If the problem lasted more than that or worsened then seeking medical assistance is probably your best choice.

Disc herniation does not always cause pain.  Many people deal with that for months or years without the problem getting worse or needing medical attention.  Some do not even feel pain.   Most of the time, when you experience pain, is when a disc is pressing on a nerve root.  That is when you start to feel pain in your buttocks and traveling down your leg.  The typical symptoms of sciatica.

Getting diagnostic tests would be a good way to identify any problem and give you peace of mind.

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • advertisement
advertisement