Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

New to here but not new to back pain

i was dropped onto the gym floor from a standing position 17 years ago during a dance competition. The pain was unreal. Parents NEVER took me to the doctor. I was 5 ft 1 in at the time.  I have had pain since, although it used to be much more tolerable and sporadic. My pain had become unbearable the last few years. I can not bend over without extreme pain in my lower back, I truly feel “stuck.” My legs and arms fall asleep very fast from doing anything simple, such as talking on the phone. I vacuumed my living room yesterday morning and I am still feeling it. I can not lay on my back or stomach as I will have intense pain. 

I had an MRI a few weeks ago for which my doctor’s nurse stated it came back normal. I requested the imaging and reports to get a second opinion. I am looking for somewhere that does a sitting MRI. Waiting on the results of my standing Xrays to compare to my last set of xrays. 

My doctor wants to send me to pain management, for which I wanted to avoid as I refuse to have cortisone shots as they do not work for me. The longest one worked was 6 days:( 

Should I request a referral to see an orthopedic? Or what kind of doctor would best suit longtime pain that has gotten progressively worse and unbearable. 

My quality of life is crap!!! 

advertisement

Comments

• Very sorry to hear. I’d be taking my MRI to a neurosurgeon to review. Please keep us posted on your progress.

• Yes I agree, I'd be seeing a neurosurgeon but I'd be happy if it's not a disc. Usually you need a referral by your Primary. What type of injections did they do? Sometimes if the right diagnosis is not made, the injections don't work but my understanding is that injections are meant to get you out of pain so you can strengthen the back muscles that protect your spine. I'm my opinion a PM doctor should actually exam you. Did they give you a diagnosis?  Have they tried PT? You obviously need a correct diagnosis so don't stop until you get it! And yes, please keep us posted. So sorry you're in SO much pain. 

• advertisement
  • So I received back my written report from my MRI and my xrays. Here is from the X-ray report... So starting at the cervical spine, I have DDD at the C3 and C4, and DDD with diffuse at C5 and C6. As well as anterior osteophytic spurring at C4, C5 and C6. Next thoracic spine, I have scoliosis convex to the right in the upper thoracic spine. Next lumbar spine, I have thoracolumbar scoliosis convex to the left, as well as exaggerated thoracic kyphosis. From all the xrays they took they could not see the transverse processes at L5 and they suspect I do not have a transitional veterinary as I have DDD at the L5-S1 level. I have a rudimentary rib at the T12 on the left. 

I received a referral for a neurosurgeon, and bring all images with me from the MRI and the xrays, as well as my xrays and reports from my previous chiro about 1.5 years ago, for comparison. I feel, although the reports don’t say moderate or severe, that due to me being small in stature and only 4 ft 10 now, that any bend or twist hurts like hell. 

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,304

It is very important to bring all the documentation (doctors notes, MRI images and reports, X-Ray images and reports as well as any other diagnostic reports)

Probably the first thing the doctor will do is to conduct a clinical examination.  Most skilled doctors like to do this first and then look at all the reports to see if their examination is in line with the reports.

Your size should not matter, a person 4'5" or 6'5" can show the same indications as being mild, moderate or severe.

From your previous doctors, have they mentioned anything about surgery?

Degenerative Disc Disease is still the most mis-understood of all spinal conditions.  Almost everyone will show some signs of DDD by the time they reach 30, some much earlier, some more severe.  The good news is that most cases off DDD can be managed by approved exercises and OTC NSAIDS.  Only the severe cases may require surgery.

Read more about DDD in All about Degenerative Disc Disease

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • I am complying all my tests and info. I unfortunately can not take NSAIDS:( 

• advertisement
advertisement