Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Pain / Numbness / Tingling in Legs/Feet with C4-C5?

I know that C4-C5 issues usually manifest with not only neck pain, but also numbness, tingling, weakness and/or pain in the arms (and possibly extending to the hands). I have a herniation at this level that, per the MRI, is contacting and slightly indenting my spinal cord, in addition to stenosis with an AP diameter of 7-8 mm. I am scheduled to have an ACDF at this level in late January. Over the past two weeks or so, I have noticed numbness and tingling in my legs -- at first it was just the left one, and now it is both. This sensation is intermittent, not continuous. I also have a spot at the top of one of my feet that feels numb from time to time. Even though I have surgery on the calendar, these newer symptoms are making me anxious. Do these seem normal, considering the specifics of my diagnosis? Should I be alright to wait several more weeks for surgery, or does this need to be expedited?

advertisement

Comments

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 12,889

When you are worried, its always good to contact your surgeon

The cervical disc problems should not have any impact on your lower extremities.  Look at dermatome or spinal maps and you can see what discs can effect what part of the body

Dermatome Map

Cervical Nerves

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • nutcase007nnutcase007 United StatesPosts: 693

• advertisement
  • I had similar issues and I heard same thing from the experts - cervical has nothing to do with legs. I continually asked but was always told, by different doctors, there should not be a connection

• It is relatively common to have both cervical and lumbar disc degeneration so a lumbar MRI could be something to discuss with your doctor. You might also search for the freely available review article "Focus on Cervical Myelopathy" in Bone and Joint Surgery, and the excerpt below explains that myelopathy (caused by cervical stenosis) can produce symptoms in the legs.

"Patients may present with a range of symptoms and many of these are non-specific. It is important to remember that although cervical myelopathy is a disease of the cervical spine it may manifest with lower as well as upper limb symptoms."

With surgery scheduled in a few weeks and only intermittent symptoms I wouldn't worry too much, but obviously try to avoid activities that bring on the symptoms. Good luck.

• joowee40joowee40 Mississippi Posts: 271

I did

• advertisement
advertisement