Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

New here, looking for some wisdom!

I have been experiencing lower back pain for over a year now, but in the last couple of months it has become an everyday problem.  The pain is a sharp shooting pain that will stop you in your tracks.  When I wake up in the morning I don't experience much pain, but as the day progresses the pain becomes more frequent.  I don't have constant pain, I mainly experience it when getting out of a sitting position.  At night I can find comfortable positions and sleep most of the night, but changing positions can be quite painful.

I'm posting this message to see if other people have similar symptoms to mine and what were their outcomes.

I was at my GP maybe 6 months ago, when the symptoms weren't as bad and I wasn't as concerned.  He just prescribed some pain medication, which I didn't take as I wasn't in a lot of pain at the time.

I'm a 37 year old male, 6' 1", 190lbs. Desk job, probably not as active as I should be!

advertisement

Comments

• A round of imaging may be in order to start narrowing down what is causing the pain.

Welcome to Spine-Health,while you wait for other members to answer, please browse the links for more helpful information

William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod
    erator

Welcome to Spine-Health

• nutcase007nnutcase007 United StatesPosts: 941
    Eoghain - I agree, some type of diagnostic imaging would make sense to hopefully determine the source of your pain.

• advertisement
  • MarWinMarWin OhioPosts: 705

I think you are answering much of your concern when you say "Desk job. Not as active as I should be.". All too often when we feel pain we blame it on the activity (ie: getting up from a sitting position), when we really need to look at the activity we were doing up to the point of the pain (ie: sitting). 

I would caution putting blame on your height and weight. I am 5'11", 165 lbs and had low back pain for well over 25 years, and more recently had sciatic nerve pain for over 2 years. In my experience, the constant among many chronic pain sufferers is lack of activity and lack of variable movements in our daily habits. For 15 years I had a lab job and was on my feet and moving most of the day. For the last 13 years I have had a desk job, and for the first 11 of those years I was a sitter. In either case, I would get off work, hit the gym for about 90 minutes, and then home to do some more sitting. Think about all that sitting - at work, in the car, mealtime, winding down to watch some tv, heck even at the gym I would have to sit to do the machines! The 90 minutes at the gym was no match for the hours and hours and hours of sitting. 

It is good that you are looking to stay ahead of the pain by seeking advice now. Little by little do your best to get moving. And I don't mean just get a standing desk (soon, standing will be the new sitting). It's more important to get variable movements in your daily routine. Keep your muscles guessing, and they'll be ready for any surprises along the way. I like to think of the Pink Panther when Cato would surprise ambush the Inspector in order to keep his senses sharp, and muscles ready. to me, same rules apply to the rest of us. Keep moving, breathe properly, hydrate. All free things we can do to improve our health! 

• Eoghain, some pain management doctors are good at diagnosing where the pain is coming from but I agree that until there is a diagnosis, it can't be treated appropriately. The worst thing you can probably do is try to ignore it. Could be muscles, disc but sounds like it needs to be looked intointo since it's been going on for awhile. Please keep us posted. 

advertisement