Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Supplements for DDD

Sorry if this has been around the block 100 times though any strong views on the use of Glucosamine, Chondroitin or Magnesium to help towards the symptoms of DDD.

advertisement

Comments

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,065

Appledave
    Welcome to Spine Health
    All new members should take the System Tutorial
    New Member Information Guideline / Checklist 

Please use the guideline above to tell us more about yourself. 
    Per forum rules, we are not allowed to give advice as far as supplements and vitamins. Everyone is different and reacts differently. This is something you should discuss with your doctor and get his advice.

Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • hvillshhvills Suzhou, ChinaPosts: 971

Dave...

I took Glucosamine for a long time... and personally I don't think it did squat for me.  I find that paying more attention to the daily abuse to my back is more meaningful/helpful in keeping the DDD and the surgeon's knife at bay.  I no longer bend over and pick-up heavy things off the floor... if I can't lift the box of whatever it is with my arm strength alone without bending... I don't do it.  I no longer do things like running or playing basketball or the like that all put heavy stresses/loads on my spine.  It doesn't mean I'm not active... I swim every day and I walk but the "abusive" things I did in the past just are no longer on the daily menu.  It's essentially a concise lifestyle change... 

Harry - 65 year old male...
    PLIF L4-L5-S1 due to disc degeneration... May 23, 2013
    PLIF L5-S1 due to failed fusion and broken screw... Jan 19, 2015
    Microdiscectomy, decompression L3-L4 due to herniated disc... Jan 19, 2015
  • advertisement
  • hvills thanks very much for sharing your experiences. I found swimming aggravated my back sadly I was alternating breaststroke with front crawl. Really hard as I’ve always been very fit until now. What swimming stroke do you use? 

Dave...

I do exactly the same... I alternate breaststroke with freestyle... 40 laps in total or 800 meters is my normal daily routine... it takes just over 30 minutes.  I always feel better both physically and emotionally after swimming.  The water is almost therapeutic like... 

• Hi again hvills thanks for your straight talking as it  sounds like you’ve been through a lot.

What do you think caused your discs to wear?. How bad were the symptoms before surgery and did the surgery help?

D

• advertisement
  • A doctor in my town says glucosamine doesn’t work because too many people only take 1500mg daily. He told me to take 3000mg daily and don’t stop until 6 weeks has passed before making a judgment.

It worked wonders for me. The doctor also said all studies saying glucosamine is not effective are all based on 1500mg daily when 3000mg daily is needed. 

He said too many people take it for a few weeks and then give up. When really at least 6 weeks is needed to pass before making a judgement.

L4_L5...

What were the imrovements you realized from taking the glucosamine?? 

Do you still take the daily 3000mg dosage today??

• Much improved joint pain. I only took it while I was able to still exercise. Since I cannot exercise currently (due to injury) I don’t need it because my joint pain was brought on by exercise.

• Update...tried taking magnesium nothing but bowel discomfort on maximum and minimum dose. Going to try taking Tumeric with black pepper next...

• My husband swears by it for his knees I will have to ask him how much he uses. He said it helped more than the pain med he takes. Of course I would not take it unless the doctor approves.
    Best luck Sherri

advertisement