Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Hospital bed vs own bed...thoughts?

Did anyone use a hospital bed post surgery once home from the hospital? Looking at what would be best post spinal fusion surgery

advertisement

Comments

• To me the hospital bed was harder to get out of, with the plastic “handles” that were in the worst position for me, and the bed was horribly uncomfortable to sleep in.  Good luck with your surgery

L3-S1 ALIF Feb 2018 and 

L3-S1 PLIF Laminectomy and Fusion March 2018

• Thank you for your feedback

• advertisement
  • CPinkston, if you can afford it, they have much more comfortable adjustable beds now. I dread hospital beds for any reason, so hard and uncomfortable. 

• Thank you for the info

• I loved my hospital ben at the rehab after first surgery. I really still needed it. This time may get bed for living room, to skip the rehab experience. 

• advertisement
  • If you're open to adjustable beds, Amazon has a decent variety for reasonable prices. We got 2 twin XL beds and put them together. Not sure of the brand or cost, but I love mine.

• The bed is going to be going in the dining room at my parent's house which is where I am going to be doing my recovery.  The option is to either move a twin bed from the downstairs bedroom or get a hospital bed

• I used my bed post surgery. The only difficult part is getting out of the bed. I have found that having a stool next to the bed helps. Have you considered getting a good recliner. I spend a lot of time in the recliner. I have found that pillows either behind my back or under me helps put me in a confortable position in the recliner. Have options as it is difficult finding comfortable places post surgery. Best of luck with your surgery.

• Thank you for the info. I have purchased a brand new recliner with lift. Thank you for info regarding pillows

• I actually spent my recovery on my couch. I didn't find any advantage to a hospital bed over a regular bed while I was in the hospital except that you could raise yourself to a more upright position when you were just hanging out.  But you aren't going to be just hanging out in bed once you get home.  To this day (2-1/2 years post op) I still find it easier to change positions and get up when on the couch as opposed to my bed.  I use the back of the sofa to push off of to turn over and I grab the back or the edge of the cushion to shift or get up. The bed is too 'open' to give me these options.

10 level fusion T9 - S1 with pelvic fixation. Two titanium rods, 24 screws, 4 cages.

Firm believer in PMA

advertisement