Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Anyone have L5-S1 fusion? Please connect

CPinkstonCCPinkston Posts: 61
edited 01/07/2019 - 2:36 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery

I am not seeing many stories, etc about L5-S1 fusion...I am having this done January 18th...would love to connect with those who have had this surgery to hear their experience.

advertisement

Comments

• I had an L5S1 fusion about a year and a half ago. Honestly the recovery was tough but I was 68 and waited way too long to have it and have nerve damage. I had two previous laminectomies on the same area. PT was helpful but I never really got past all the pain and in February of 2018 had a neurostimulator put in and had it taken out in September. My nerves were hypersensitive and it just didn't work for me. 

The best advice I can give is if you need it, don't wait too long! And after the fusion heals (and you have to follow your surgeon's orders!) do everything you can to strengthen those bracing muscles that hold our spine, good PT, walking, swimming, start easy and work up. Some surgeons have you wear a back brace until the fusion heals, mine didn't,  If there are any other questions I can answer don't hesitate and don't be at all discouraged by my experience, everyone is different. I'm sure you can find great post surgical information on this site. As everyone on this site says, ice is our best friend. Prayers for a successful surgery! 

• Hi cpinksron

I had L345&S1 fused in 2016. I will tell you it takes time for you to recover so be patient. It took me about 2 years to fully recover. I don't think you ever really recover. There are certain things that you won't be able to do or I should say you will figure out how you can do them . I guess we all think that when we get these surgeries done we think that we will be new. No going to happen.my best advise is to lission to your Dr and do you exercise . If you can start doing them before you have surgery it helps. Stay on top of your medication. And good luck. It worked for me and I hope it works for you.

• advertisement
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,265

There are a number of actions that you need to take care of before, during and after surgery.

Here are a set of medical articles that you should read before going in for your surgery

Getting ready for surgery

Important actions to take before you leave the hospital

Recovery , the most important phase - Patience

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences