Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

6 months post discetomy

anniewannyaanniewanny Posts: 2
edited 01/09/2019 - 8:41 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery

hi I’m new here and looking for your advice!

I’m 6 months post discetomy. I had an L5 over S1 herniation. The op was successful in some respects but I’m still suffering from numbness on bottom of foot, some days are worse than others. That I can cope with but what’s getting me down is calf pain like cramp( it’s pretty constant ) and to be honest I feel so stiff all over my back , even in the top of my arms after doing any little excercise or going to work. I’m a very active person and walk daily but the walking seems to be getting harder if anything, my legs feel so weak, especially my left which was the one that suffers due to the S1 pinched nerve. Is this all normal? I know when they went in my S1 nerve was purple due to being restricted for 10 months before the op and I was just told to take things easy and give it time.. can anyone please advise? I haven’t seen anyone about is, I was signed off from my consultant in October.

advertisement

Comments

• annie- Nerves are very slow to heal and yours were compressed for a long while, however if your symptoms are getting worse I think it would be a good idea to talk to your surgeon about it just in case something else has happened. Good luck and feel better soon

• Thank you for your comment, I will x

• advertisement
  • Hi there, I’m a little over 4 months out from a microdiscectomy also at L5-S1. My nerve had also been compressed for a long time.  My pain went away for a few weeks after the surgery then started coming and going again, although never as bad as pre-surgery when the pain was excruciating (now it’s more like a nagging annoyance).  The numbness in my foot has never gone away (although I have it only in 2 toes instead of 3 now) and pain and tightness in my glute on that side comes and goes depending on what I’m doing. Still going to PT once a week,  and they’re telling me it could all still be due to the nerve taking a long time to heal.  I have a follow up with the surgeon this week so I’ll definitely be asking him about this but wanted to share my similar experience!  I keep telling myself to take the long view - hopefully in a year we’ll both be feeling a lot better. Fingers crossed!