Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Weakness and numbness in leg and saddle areaa

I am five months post-op. I had fusion between L3-L5, I am still using a cane and stumbling due to weakness in leg. I also have numbness in my saddle area and cannot feel anything between my legs. I believe that it is possible the surgeon messed up. He said the numbness would go away. Does anyone else have this problem? I had so many complications. Surgery took 12 hours (which I could not believe) and then I was intubated for another 12 hours because I was unable to breathe on my own. I had to have 2 units of blood, got a blood clot in my leg, and had five UTIs while in the hospital and rehab unit. I feel terribly depressed although I did "fire" my surgeon and did find another one for follow up.

advertisement

Comments

• What has your new surgeon told you regarding the numbness? You also didn't mention how long the nerves were compressed before surgery. Nerves are very slow to heal, some doctors will tell you 1-2 years before you will know what you have and sometimes they never come back if they were compressed for a very long time, hopefully that is not your case. I have a very good friend that a chiropractor adjusted his neck not knowing he had a bone spur, it crushed a nerve and he lost all use of his right arm, fast forward 2 1/2 years and he has full range of motion of his arm however he still does not have very much strength. At 5 months you are still not completely healed, most doctors will tell you at least 1 year after fusion surgery. As far as the depression please find someone to talk to, also you didn't mention if you were in PT which can be very helpful. Main thing is do not give up, never give up. Take care and I hope you feel better  

challenger
    Veritas-Health Moderator

• I would be at the ER with those symptoms. Saddle numbness IMO is nothing to mess with.

• advertisement
  • What did you post surgical MRI indicate? If you are now with a 2nd dr., he would have or should have ordered one. There are several neurological disorders that result from significant nerve compression. In my case, It was after all the decompression that I went in for back surgery to relieve that now suggests my many problems from waist down including numbness. I have crazy pain as well so I hope that is not what you're dealing with as well.

• How long has the saddle numbness been going on for? If this is new I agree with L4 L5, if this is a issue that’s been going on for awhile, I’d be on the phone with the new surgeon......David

DavidG

Veritas-Health Forum Moderator

• Original poster hasn’t been online in over three months. Doubt she’ll ever see these new replies.

• advertisement
  • Thank you L4 L5....David

DavidG

Veritas-Health Forum Moderator

advertisement