Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

We're building a better forum experience with you in mind. Beginning June 26, 2019, all Veritas Health forums will move to forum.veritashealth.com.

Learn More

SSI Financial Redetermination/Shocking Discovery

Hello everyone, I'm brand new and glad I found you. I need help because I am literally traumatized right now. 

I've been on SSI 15 months. I'm disabled unable to work with permanent, severe spinal stenosis, PTSD, depression. I was told I have to meet with SSA for a financial redetermination in a few weeks. I was horrified when I went online to see that I was supposed to be claiming ANY and ALL income earned even if its gifts from family and friends. I have about 6 checks I deposited into my account, along with about 15 checks for research studies I did from home (mostly for studies/focus groups) on health problems and mental health issues. In total, since October 2017, everything totals about $3,000. 

I can honestly tell you I was really I'll informed, thinking I only need to report a real job or inheritance. 

What will happen to me now? I can't work. I'm 58, and used to be homeless. My PTSD is so bad I have passed out and have breakdowns in public (all documented from hospital) I'm literally horrified right now, afraid I'm going to lose my benefits and my apartment. I'm not a dishonest person, I'm just naive and new to all this and made a terrible mistake not reporting this income. 

Thank you for any advice, support or direction you can offer me. 

advertisement

Comments

• I can't speak directly to the problem but try not to project what "might" happen. They may just make you repay the added money. I was given wrong information when I first retired by 2 different SS people about how much I could earn and got a bill from them the following year for $2500, when I went in and explained they let me make small payments which they took out of my check until it was paid off. Maybe you should be proactive and call before your meeting? Just explain the situation and I've found them to be decent about it. I really don't think they can take away your benefits. Perhaps someone else can speak directly to your situation but my best advice is to be proactive and worry never added one day to our lives but just ruins the life we have. May God bless you with wisdom and peace. 

• L4_L5LL4_L5 Posts: 1,460
    edited 01/19/2019 - 10:03 AM

My guess is you’ll have to pay taxes on the $3000. Just make sure you clarify with them what you need to be doing so it doesn’t happen again.

If you signed something from SSI 17 months ago agreeing to report income, then it’s hard to play the naive card.

Always read carefully what you sign.

It sounds like it’s the first offense so my guess is that they’ll work with you.

• advertisement
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Jerome001Jerome001 Cocoa Beach, FloridaPosts: 377

I was overpaid once and had to pay it back. No other issues.

advertisement