Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Cold and windy

Cold and windy it’s going to be  below zero tonight here in Michigan. Some of you on here live in the southern states .  Two winters ago I was in Arizona and California I should have went this winter but  Had some medical problems. I still might go yet but will see.   It is a beautiful day today with the sun shining on the snow but is too cold to go outside  For people in our condition. Well take care and God bless. 

advertisement

Comments

• Yesterday was a bad day for my back.  Any time we have a drastic change, my back hurts more than normal.  I'm in KY which isn't really in the South, but were not the North either. Thankfully, my wife and I are going on a Caribbean cruise in two weeks, so I'm just keeping my eye on the date!

Keep your head up!  Summer is only 5 months away!!!

Keith

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • Mike I LIVE IN North Carolina, it was 54 here yesterday and going to be 18 with 15-25 MPH winds, I feel your pain.

challenger
    Spine-Health Moderator

• advertisement
  • It went from 60 to snow and freezing cold here in Kansas City, Ks in one week! My back hates the cold and after growing up near the Canadian border, I've had my fill of snow. Oh how I wish I could fly, I have a sister in Florida and a brother in So California. Spring does come early here so it won't be long. Multiple injections (L345 facet and bilateral SI) tomorrow so I'm praying for some relief so I can start going to the pool again. Take care y'all. 

• MikethepikeMMikethepike MIchiganPosts: 617
    edited 01/20/2019 - 10:25 PM

My son went ice fishing yesterday for northern pike, they used tip ups which is a device that sets on top Of the ice And when you get a 

bite The flag pops up to let you know. They use Live bait, small fish about 4 inches long  called shiners. They had read to use hot dogs. 

So anyway had six hits on the hotdogs and no hits on the shiners.  But he said it was very very very cold out there.   The pike we usually catch are between  2 to 3 ft. Long.  Maybe next week they’ll catch some. 

Right now it is -5° outside.

• Sorry mike, you should have made the so cal trip it’s been beautiful for two whole days in the 70s after a real wet period (5 days) where the temps dipped into the high 50s (twice). I was in 5 degree temps a month ago for the first time since my surgery, my low back was so stiff and the neuropathy unbearable.  Thankfully that only lasted a couple days. I am so blessed to live in SoCal, quakes and all.  I’ll take that occasional shaker over frozen neuropathy pain any day, seriously. 

L3-S1 ALIF Feb 2018 and 

L3-S1 PLIF Laminectomy and Fusion March 2018

• advertisement
  • I'll tie the cold

Here in the land that winter forgot..the land of eternal summer..humidity lives here land

Cold-cool dry air is most welcome

Summer and heat come back too sin

Bundle me up

Turn me loose out in a big empty place with  wind kissed barbed wire, bent stalk grass and snow and I am a happy ranchand.

Decompression from demands on me is more and more important now than ever.its part of my balance mechanism..getting out and away into the quiet peace of winters teeth.

William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod
    erator

Welcome to Spine-Health

• Today looking out the window here in Utah to a beautiful winter wonder land of snow falling heavy. Yes it is pretty but big pain on the body thank heavens for this electric blanket my son gave me . My dream years ago was to live in Alaska what was I thinking never have been a fan of the cold. 
    Mike
    Michigan lived there for a couple of years, a different kind of cold with the humidity. Shocked when they shut down schools, businesses etc. for the ice storms but soon realized why scary stuff. 
    My family huge part of our lives fishing but not into the ice stuff did it a few times. My son did do it when he lived in Minnesota they had nice little houses out on the ice equipped with a stove, treats etc. now that sounds like my kind of fishing. Spike what fighters and those teeth some problems now here killing other species so in one lake it is catch and kill immediately. Sorry one of my hard to let go of passions. 
    I hope you are able to go to warmer weather soon.
    Keith
    Wow enjoy so jealous it is wonderful that you are able to do that. I cannot wait for spring and that first 50 with all the smells life waking up love it.
    William
    Sounds like you live where I would be at peace away from it all. We did buy a cabin with my son out in the country where when I can when able to travel escape this city life. The stars explode  there but here in the city lucky to see any at all. Where you live to me is huge when handling our lives enjoy !  
    Stay warm everyone.
    Sherri

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,168

Woke up this morning (New Milford, CT) and it was -2 degrees!  One of our cars stays outside and it has about 1/2inch of ice surrounding it.   Its now about a warm 13 degrees.

Luckily, the cold does effect my spine, it does however play some havoc with my Osteoarthritis.  Its like I need WD40 to get my joints moving without creaking.

For all those in cold weather, you should let your facets drip just a bit.  And we've been told in this type of weather, set your thermostat 5 degrees more than you normally would.

You dont want to deal with frozen pipes.  I did it once! and that was more than enough.  Its like when your computer crashes and you dont have a backup..  Just takes one time before you take precautionary measures

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • MikethepikeMMikethepike MIchiganPosts: 617

Update it was -11° last night -2° right now. Beautiful sunny day though.  I always love  Martin Luther King day. We had the day off work and always went ice fishing. We would drive the van right out on the lake, We stayed warm and sipped  peppermint schnapps . We would catch a northern pike and rebait the hook ,  then jump back into the van and had ANother sip. fun days!!!

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 5,923

It is a balmy, sunny -2 this morning, only 8 degrees right now. We had 3" of snow Sat., our pond has a beautiful sheet of ice on it. And no, we don't ice fish!! lol.
    We heat our house with wood so Tim keeps it a comfortable 74 degrees in here. Talk about cheap heat!!
    A couple of days before this storm hit, I had to keep my heating pad on as the weather changes were creating havoc on my spine.
    Stay warm!!  And yes, Ron, we  leave the taps dripping at night.

Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
advertisement