My son and I were rear ended this may ,as a result I am scheduled for a ACDF of c4&5 and 5&6 on Sept 16th. My son may have to have shoulder surgery but wont know till after the appt with the specialist on Sept 9th.
The day after the accident May13th I saw my DR. (lucky me was his last day at the practice he hadnt even told the staff yet) so he didnt do much.I went to my Chiro (have an almost 8 yr relationship with)who did x-rays and an exam,started me with massages and light adjustments .After a week he wanted me seen by a spine specialist and refered me to Dr. R and a psychologist Dr.Z ,Who he had call me at home to talk to me before my first visit one wek later.It took 2 weeks to see Dr.R for my neck due to the holidays ,but when I called they told me to come right in that dayI have to say this is thanks to my Chiro Dr.Lupo ,I feel bad for the people I've read about that have been treated incorrectly by improperly trained so called chiropracters, and have had further problems because of them.
Dr.Lupo is an amazing chiro ,plus knowing me and my family so well that he has done everything he could to get me the best care possible.
So I see spine specialist May 27th ,Dr.R I'm a mess ,major pain and in his words Emotionally compromised (lol) he gives me norco ,xanax,zoloft,celebrex Lidoderm patches.Checks X-rays they're clear sends me for Mri .3 days later I get a phone call from Dr.R giving me the results MRI shows a rupture of the 2 discs ,and a issue at the Bra strap level of my back .He is sending me a script for a bone scan ,wants me to start decompression therapy with Dr.Lupo ,I get this off VOICEMAIL needless to say not how you want to hear news like that.I call the office closed for 2 weeks .
next night I turn my head feel something pop get the most horrible pain for 5 min or so ,wake the next morning crying and vomiting (last time i felt that way i was giving birth) Dont know what to do I'm freaking so is hubby, I call Dr.Lupo he's not in, I tell them i need to see him on Mon. so he can explain the decompression to me better did'nt mention the pain, not 10 min later he's calling me back ,hears the pain in my voice tells me head to the office were going to start the therapy today ,calls Dr.R. himself and gets him to fax a script to the pharm. for me. all this was taken care of by time I got to his office 20 min later. Kelly talks hubby into leaving and getting script (oxycodone 5mg 1 or 2 every 4 to 6 hours as needed ) and she holds my hand for the first treatment. I feel kinda spoiled there.
Decompression seemed to be helping ,I see Dr.R again to really go over the MRI ,both discs are truly ruptered and pushing on the spinal column one to the right one left(having right sided probs,he dosent understand says the left should be giving me hell more than right),tells me decompression will only provide temp relief and since the discs are all over the D*** place (his words ) surgery is the answer.So he refers me to Surgeon, New scrips switched me to the oxycodone 10mg every 4 to 6 hrs as needed doin ok at this point only taking them 3 times a day so they lasted all month, next visit August 11th I'm having more pain ,numbness neverending headache ,balance feeling as bad as when i started , we discuss the surgery, follow up etc.,I tell him the oxycodone is better but only lasting 4 hours, he replied thats about right. Doubles my xanax, and zoloft ,no change in the pain med gives me 100 oxycodone 10mg, I see him again 2 weeks after surgery so not till late ,tells me call if theres a problem.Well on the 16th i again turned my head felt a similar pop and within 10 min the pain had me vomiting, now the left side is giving me as much h*** as the right ,I am right back to crying and dry heaving pain, I have tried everything i know to get it back under control and nothings working Ihave only been out of bed for therapy ,massages,bought wedge pillows ,a soft collar ,Finally gave up and called Dr.R's officeon the 21st,he and his assistant were in a meeting ,left a message about the pop,pain,and that I will also run out 11 days before surgery, mads barely lasting 3 hours etc.. No call back on that day. call fri.office closed leave voicemail checking to see if message got to dr or cissy no call back on mon. I wait call tues. Cissy thought he called will call me back in 20 min, 2 hours later she calls just to let meknow they were swamped and he will call me that day.Today finally she calls Dr.R says he cannot write me more oxycodone by law for 30 days,and on the 11th he will fax a copy to the Pharm for more ,if it gets to bad go to the ER and have them call and he will instruct them on what to do.Sorry it took so long to get to my problems ,prob the shortes part of the whole thing.
1 Can't he give me something different other than the oxycodone or like the norco again for in between.
2 How do you know when you should go to the ER for pain.( I've had stitches with no lidicain 'so I always though my pain tolerence was good till now)I feel like a freakin crybaby.
3 I know right now my brain function is not 100% but if i am allowed 4 per day 100 only is a 25 day supply not a 30 day one, I will be out on the 5th of Sept. I counted and even dropping to 3 doses per day still leaves me short by 3 to 4 days. What I'm taking now Just barely keeps me from freaking, and the stress of getting ready for surgery ,my first since a c section in 88 ,now knowing I will have even less pain relief .
I don't think I can cope much longer.