Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

We're building a better forum experience with you in mind. Beginning June 26, 2019, all Veritas Health forums will move to forum.veritashealth.com.

Learn More

Sleep Advice?

Both of my hips are wrecked from my degenerative disc disease and unfortunately I'm a side sleeper. When I lay on my hips for too long my leg starts to go lock up and the nerves start to freak out. I have a thin pillow that I keep under my hips regardless of what position I try to sleep in, and that helps a little bit, but I was wondering if there was anything else I could do. It's like laying on my sides puts pressure on my hips and I don't know how to relieve it. Does anyone have any advice? ~

advertisement

Comments

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,434

When you say your hips are bad, what exactly are you talking about?  Is it Osteoarthritis?  Bone on Bone? Candidate for Hip Replacement?   Just want to understand what you are saying.  Degenerative Disc Disease can throw off your gait, which in turn could impact another area?   What are you doing for your DDD?

Take a look at Sleep   Those set of articles provide medical articles that can help with sleep in general

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • @dilauro It has been only 6 months since I have been diagnosed, I don't know hardly anything yet, these things take time as I'm sure you know.My dr says I don't have any markers for arthritis. Thank you for the link to the articles.

• advertisement
  • ddd in L5 S1 and I am a side sleeper also

I start "pedaling"a few minutes into sleep which Mae's me roll over and start again. A big pillow between my legs,some heat patches, very light stretching before bed.

A hot shower to loosen up the muscles before bed. Ibuprophine to take of the edge.

Still dont sleep very long though as other areas soon flare up on me

William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod
    erator

Welcome to Spine-Health

• @William Garza yess that’s exactly what I experience too. I have a body pillow and heating pad but I will have to try the stretching and hot shower before bed. Thank you so much for your advice and I hope your sleep problems ease soon ~

• I have had trouble sleeping and getting comfortable after my spinal fusion L5-S1 3 weeks ago.  I have found using the Calm app for guided meditation for sleep has really helped me go to sleep.  I also like Belleruth Naparkstek/Health Journeys guided meditation for sleep.  

• advertisement
  • Anyone has any noise canceling idea at night so that I can get a deep sleep.
    Thanks
  • One month after I going now in a deep sleep from a few days. I bought a noise canceling earbuds which help me to go to sleep at night. I wear it at night and fall into a deep sleep and happy with this earbuds.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,434

There are so many sleepy time devices you  use.   Some are just apps on the Iphone and there are others that you can buy at almost any major store .

Some are noise cancelling, some provide soothing noise to help you sleep

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • I use a fan on high and sometimes the pink ear plugs. Lately, I put on my headphones and start watching Netflix and pass out. 

DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • CharlesfelixCCharlesfelix Posts: 7
    edited 06/10/2019 - 4:01 AM

Hey Charry,

Your earplugs are noise canceling. Which brand or company's earplugs you use?
advertisement