Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Does anyone take this many medications?

Does anyone take this many medications? I take gabapentin? Oxycotin, norco, clomazapam, zanaflex , and Flomax. ,  I have spasticity, back pain, neck pain, and nerve pain. I broke my neck five years ago and have a spinal cord injury at C 1 C2 , I’m just wondering if anyone else takes this much medication? You can personal message me back if you’d like or post a response. Take care and God bless

advertisement

Comments

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,168

Mike,  for a while, my medicine box was overflowing

Especially after having my bypass heart surgery.  I was on about 10 different medications for the  heart all trying to regulate my blood pressure and more.  Now, today, I am down to one .

So today, its simple

• Valsartan for my blood pressure
    • Allopurinoll for Gout
    • Atorvastatin (Lipitor for heart balance
    • Baclofen for muscle spasms
    • Oxycodone for pain

This was a great reduction over the past several years to the point where I was able to change my medicare prescription plan and save about $18 a month

I hope this trend continue

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • Mike I'd sure like to cut back but I take 3300mg of gabapentin, 20-25mg of Percocet, 20 mg of baclofen, meloxicam for inflammation. I tried Turmeric but it upsets my stomach. I really need more baclofen but too much mental confusion. I also take magnesium. Sensitive subject but how do you keep the constipation under control? It's a constant struggle for me. 

• advertisement
  • MikethepikeMMikethepike MIchiganPosts: 617

Constipation is a struggle, I take MiraLAX and Phillips milk of magnesia, if that doesn’t work then I use liquid fleet. Suppository 

• Hi Mike
    You should see my husbands medication too many to put here and the sad thing is he would rather take a med than change his diet or lifestyle.
    I at one time was taking 20 different kinds a day now I am down to 6 different kinds. A lot of them were different Vitamins and over the counter stuff decided to cut all that out.
    Constipation a nightmare for sure depends so much on what I eat. 
    Sherri

• Jerome001Jerome001 Cocoa Beach, FloridaPosts: 282

You are not alone - I have 13 prescriptions and a morphine pain pump. It does get tiresome but what's the alternative? They help us have another day on the right side of the grass! :)

• advertisement
  • MikethepikeMMikethepike MIchiganPosts: 617

Hi Jerome,  I guess my concern is taking so many medications it causes other problems, I wish I could come off all medications  at least for a while.   Thanks for the input .

Mike, being an oldtimer at  this, we understand the long term usage of all the medications we take.

I think so many people just focus on opioids because right now, thats on center stage.

When you start to read the negative effects that so many medications have, it becomes almost like the same negatives apply to almost every medication.   Always remember, those are potential impacts

There have been some studies on the effects of a few medications.

Steroids (via Injection or Oral) Long term impacts can have damage to your bones, and I know first hand, it was the cause of eye cataracts

But Mike, what I think we all dont really know is what are the long term impacts of

Neurontin
    Lyrica
    Muscle Relaxers
    Prednisone
    Blood Pressure medications
    Gout medications
    Cholesterol medications, etc

And so many OTC medications (NSAIDS, etc)

It does get scary because we really dont know for sure.  Some folks here are looking at  long term being 6 months to 24 months.  But we understand long term generally means greater than 5 years and perhaps up to 30 years

Like you, I would do almost anything to eliminate the number of medications we have to take daily.

• Yes like all of you, I would do ALMOST anything to get down to a reasonable level of meds. I guess I have to weigh the benefits with the risks. I've tried cutting back on the gabapentin but the nerve pain is unbearable so I deal with the side effects and possible long term damage. Right now, any less than 20mg of oxy and I can't function so I take it. I guess I have to accept whe wher where I'm at and keep working to improve or at least stay stable. I get SO weary of chasing answers. Later this month, I'll start at a Behavioral Pain Management Center and maybe that will teach me how to better understand and manage my pain. It's counseling, education, coping skills and they have a group session too. I'll know more when I go for my intake interview on the 20th. So maybe, just maybe, that will help me reduce some meds, we shall see. 

I have found over the years, that trying to do as much exercises and walking, along with a healthier diet I have been able to reduce some of my medications.

I have completely eliminated Neurontin.  I still get nerve pain, but since I've had it that long, with or without any nerve medication.  At times, Neurontin did help me, but some of the negative impacts was a big decision to stop taking it.   For the first 9 months or so, it was very difficult.  But with the help of my doctor, we did a gradual withdrawal.   

I never thought I could do with anything less than 40mg (8 x 5mg) daily.  But again, with all the good things I have done (as above) I have been able to drop that to 20mgs total for a day.  My next goal is 10mg total for the day

I have been following much of what I wrote about in 2009   The Blend

• Ron, when you say it was difficult to wean off the Neurotin, do you mean pain wise or withdrawal? Does walking increase your pain level? I do it but it ramps up my pain so much that it's almost counterproductive. Hopefully I can get back in the water soon. The ice storms here in KC have been awful, ER's have been overrun with people falling so I haven't been out much. My poor daughter in law fell in her driveway and broke her arm! 

advertisement