Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Rheumatoid Arthritis and Synovial Cysts on Lumbar Spine L4/L5

Hi,

Has anyone experienced or know if Rheumatoid Arthritis causes or can cause synovial cysts on your lumbar?  

I had to have a synovial cyst removed on the left side of my lumbar on 6/28/18 and then on 12/13/18 had to have a synovial cyst removed on my right side as well as a spinal fusion on L4/L5 with donor bone, 4 screws and 2 rods.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thank you.

advertisement

Comments

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,366

Cali2018

This is what I found from research.
    Abstract. Although synovial cysts are most commonly associated with rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis, they may occur in many other conditions. The clinical manifestations of these cysts are numerous and may result from pressure, dissection or acute rupture.

This was very interesting to read as I have had several cysts, some removed. I have RA and Osteo and never knew this.

But my advice is talk to your doctor. 

Sandra
    Veritas-Health Forum Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • Thank you for your information.  Where did you have your cysts?

I will ask my doctor when I see him next.  

• advertisement
  • Dear Call2018,

I had a synovial cyst at L3,4.  It was discovered when I had an MRI for intense sciatica that was really terrible.

I had surgery on  L3-4 for removal of the cyst and also for a laminectomy.  The surgery did not involve any 'hardware', .

After the surgery, recovery was easy and the pain was completely gone.

I do not have RA, only severe osteoarthritis.

Regards, ElaineD