Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Unexplainable post L3-L4 discectomy issues

Male 39 years here, looking for advice and similar experiences...

Twelve months ago I had a discectomy to address a L3-L4 herniation that had been giving me back pain for about one year prior. The surgery was a success from the perspective of dealing with the pain, however, when I woke up after the operation I had severe pins+needles/numbness in my right leg (which weren't there before the surgery). Around 3 months post-op these symptoms decreased but I've been left with numbness on the outside of my right foot and weakness in my right calf which hasn't improved over the past year. I'm also having some erectile dysfunction issues which I assume could be related (and were never there before). 

The surgeon tells me these are indicative of something at the L5-S1 level and is at a loss to explain why these would show up suddenly when he didn't operate at this level. Post surgery MRI's (2x) show no issues. Am waiting for an appointment for a nerve conduction study now to try and help explain things. 

Does anyone have similar stories that they could share (hopefully with a positive outcome)? I know nerves are tricky things but when the surgeon doesn't really understand things it doesn't give me confidence...    

advertisement

Comments