Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Ice packs after ALIF/PLIF surgery

I have had surgeries in the past where I was attached to ice machines and used ice packs afterward..I found it interesting that after my spinal fusion surgery I never really got a lot of post surgery recovery information.  one thing that has been interesting is that there was no mention of using ice packs? is this something that I should be doing/recommend to do? I am 3 weeks post op.

advertisement

Comments

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,364

CPinkston
    I was always advised to use ice packs after surgery. I was told told it will help with inflammation as well as nerve pain. I had to have a tumor removed from my wrist several years ago and they had my hand and arm wrapped with tubes running through it. This was attached to a little cooler with ice water and a fan that kept the water flowing thru the tubes. I wore this for 4 weeks to help with the pain. After my pain pump implant I was also advised to use ice packs.
    But still, maybe you should ask your surgeon.

Sandra
    Veritas-Health Forum Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • I used ice at first post surgery while in the hospital, then heat for a bit. Once my complication happened (surgical incision opened), I was advised to use ice to keep the swelling down.

As always, check with your doctor first, because he/she may have reason to choose one over the other to aid in your recovery.

Hope you start feeling better soon, and take good care.

• advertisement
  • Thank you for the info