Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Unbearable Right Leg Pain

Hello I am new to the forum and I have a couple of questions. I had my 7th back surgery on 12/06/2018. It was L4-L5 fusion. My follow visit was on 01/23/19. I have had a tremendous amount of pain that starts in the right buttock and runs down to the top of my right foot. The pain is worse when I go to stand up or sit down but becomes almost intolerable by 6-7pm. It has made walking difficult and some days impossible. The doctor said I had a lot of nerve damage before surgery and that he had a tough time operating because of all the scar tissue. At my follow up visit he said he would get me off the pain medication but now wasn't the time.  I agreed because without it I would be forced to stay in my chair all the time.  Now the last two days it has gotten worse. I can barely lift my right leg when trying to walk and the pain is more intense than ever. My wife called the doctor and his nurse suggested going to the ER. The town I live in the ER is merely a first aid clinic. 

My question is does anyone know what am I experiencing with this type of pain? I am only 48 years old and I am having a hard time with being a prisoner in my home. Its bad when you have a plastic urinal beside your chair because the thought of walking to the bathroom makes you nauseous. 

My second question is should I go 45 miles away to an ER? I don't know what they would do for me. The only advantage I see is it would be in the same city my doctor is located and maybe they would call him for direction. 

Thank you in advance for any advice or answers. I am at my witts end.

advertisement

Comments

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,525

I am sure since you have had many back surgies, that recovery takes time.

And what takes the most time is the nerve pain.  You indicated that you surgeon said you had a lot of nerve damage.   Now, after surgery, those nerves are beginning to heal. Nerve pain generally takes much longer to heal.  My last lumbar surgery in 2016, a laminectomy L2-L5, my 'back' pain was gone about 3 months after surgery.  But it took almost 13 months for the nerve pain to subside.

Did your doctor's nurse indicated that besides going to the Emergency Room, that they would schedule another follow up appointment for you?

What kind of nerve pain medication are you using?

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • It sounds like you are suffering from nerve pain, you didn't mention if you were on any nerve specific medications, pain medications do not work very well for nerve pain. Your second question, only you can answer, if the pain is bad enough it may be  the proper thing to do.

challenger
    Veritas-Health Moderator

• advertisement
  • Before my surgery the doctor prescribed Lyrica. I can't tell that it has benefited me at all. I am still taking the oxycodone as it seems to be the only thing that helps relieve some of the pain. Besides the level of pain, the limited amount of immobility I am experiencing has me worried. After all of my previous surgeries I was moving around with no problems after a couple of weeks. I guess I am at a loss as to what to do next. My doctor did not reschedule a sooner appointment and that is two and a half months away.  I guess I will continue going day to day and hope for improvement.

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,357

Call your doctor and try to schedule an appointment sooner. Also tell him about the pain and immobility. If the Lyraca is not working for you, let him know.

Sandra
    Veritas-Health Forum Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • If Lyrica is not working for you there are other nerve specific medications that they may want to try

challenger
    Veritas-Health Moderator

• advertisement
advertisement