Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

How long on strong meds

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,578
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:22 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had a PLIf w/ instrumentation (L5-S1) on 18 Aug. I am just wondering how long most of you were on hard meds )opiates). I find that nights are much more difficult for pain control.
advertisement

Comments

• Hi JT, I had PLIF on Aug 5 and I am still on narcs, though much less. When I got out of the hospital I was taking Norco 10, 2 tablets every 4 hours, and even setting alarms to make sure I didn't miss a dose. Also skelaxin 800mg every 6 hours. Now I am taking Norco 5 mg aboout 4 times a day. Am trying Soma 3 times a day instead of Skelaxin (expensive). I agree nights are the worst for some reason. It has just been a gradual decline of needing the narcs. I stopped setting alarms and began to take more on an as needed basis and have slowly just needed less. Wish I could take Motrin, but no can do for fusion patients :) Take care, and keep taking them as long as you need to, no need to suffer any more than you have to, Sue
  • 1 year on Percocet...I take about 3 a day....10/325's.

Having my hardware out tomorrow...hope it helps with that so I can get off them.
  • advertisement
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,732
    On my first fusion surgery L4, L5, S1, anterior posterior I used narcs. for 6 weeks. But remember, everyone is different.
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • I was on 7.5 percocets 4xs -6xs a day for 3 months. Then cut down to 5 mg hydrocodone 2x's a day
    Orginal surgery was 9/9/07. I was off meds by
    2/08. But like said everyone is different in their rate of pain and recovery.

Good luck!!

• People are gonna hate me for this but....I never took ANY pain meds-my TLIF was aug 5th. I will say the reason I did not take them was NOT because I was not in pain-but rather because they make me throw up! They gave me 4 different kinds of meds to keep me from throwing up from the anthesia-but it did not work! Once I got that out of my system (2 days I was sick)-I did not want to chance taking pain meds. I WILL say-that I am 3 weeks post op-I do not even need tylenol (really since about 2 weeks post op). I guess everyone's tolerances are different.
  • advertisement
  • Like Shay, I can't tolerate narc either. So it was fortunate that after my L3-S1 fusion in May, once the doc removed the morphine pump after two days, I did not have any pain so I took no meds. I still bless my surgeon as I think that was because of his extraordinary skills. But before the surgery he told me that should I need to take pain meds, he would give me Percocet.

Kin
  • Kinpain-Hey! No fair! You got a morphine pump?? My ns perscribed morphine and percoset but never offered a pump-you did not get sick from that?
  • Sure did. That was the worst part of surgery. First I got the headache, then got nausea, and finally threw up. Not a good thing after surgery. So on day two the pump was removed and I have been fine ever since.

Kin
  • I had my fusion surgery in Feb. 2008 and was on pain meds until mid April and haven't had one since. Take them while you heal then slowly cut back until you feel you don't need them. Everyone heals differently so don't get frustrated. Give you body the time it needs. Good Luck!

Keith
  • Kinpain-I threw up for 2 days-just from the anesthesia! So, I know what you mean about it being the worst part! It felt like someone was stabbing me in the back with a butcher knife every time I got sick! Wish they could come up with something that would not make me sick! They gave me 4 different kinds of meds to prevent it but nothing worked.
advertisement