Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Spasms after spinal fusion surgery

My husband back spinal fusion almost 2 weeks ago. He seems to be having uncontrollable leg spasms at night when he is sleeping and is scared he is doing damage to his back. Has anyone experienced anything like this? He is taking flexiril. Any suggestions?

advertisement

Comments

• WLLadyWLLady Ontario CanadaPosts: 1,486

hi Welcome to Spine-Health

have you contacted his surgeon?  i had horrible cramps after surgery-i had 10 levels fused and because of the sudden decompression of the nerves to my legs i had horrible spasms because the muscles didn't know how to react, and the nerves were always firing because they were healing. i ended up getting nerve drugs (neurontin) that helped a little but also got put onto brewers yeast tablet and vitamin B.  Apparently the brewers yeast has a ton of protein and vitamin B in them, and honestly they helped me better than the neurontin for the muscles.  the neurontin really helped the nerve pain.  i was also taking baclofen (like flexeril) at the time, and it seemed to get me through.  my spasms lasted about 2 weeks after starting on the brewers yeast/vit b.  it was such a relief when they ended!  but please please talk with his surgeon before doing anything!   

Kathy
    Veritas-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Dec '16 T10-S2 fusion with pelvic fixation. Laminectomies L2, L3, L4, L5, facet removal, cages L4-5, L5-S1, severe scoliosis, arthritis and stenosis repair. 

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,526

Two weeks post surgery is not a long time.  During the recovery process there are bound to be many ups and downs, new pains that a patient didnt have before, etc   Please take a look at   Recovery, the most important phase - Patience

But just as Kathy said, you should contact the surgeon to discuss this.  They may tell you its perfectly normal, things to do or perhaps wanting to see him.

I do know that one of the biggest fears is things you do after a recent surgery. A fall, a trip, sudden twist, etc all can make any person start to worry if they did anything that compromised their surgery.

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • advertisement