Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Competed the SCS Trial

I did the trial a couple of weeks ago. It went ok but between the tape itching my back & the painful incision it was difficult for me to decide how much the scs was helping. Now that the trial is done I can’t decide what to do. A part of me thinks just do it & if I don’t like have it removed. But I dread the surgery & healing period. I have sciatic pain from my right buttock down my leg. The nerve is probably damaged so I’m not sure if the scs will provide much relief. Does anyone have any suggestions? 

advertisement

Comments

• Jerome001Jerome001 Cocoa Beach, FloridaPosts: 318

When I had my SCS trial it was considered successful if it gave 50% pain relief. While noticing pain around your wound was there any relief of your sciatica? If the wound was your worst pain during the trial perhaps the SCS was working? Yes, you can have the SCS implant removed - I did but I also feel like I wasted a lot of time dealing with the SCS related issues instead of focusing on pain relief. It is a very personal decision that only you can make. Discuss everything with your doctor before you decide. Good luck, Jerome

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,065

nicki93711
    Welcome to Spine Health
    All new members should take the System Tutorial

I also had a SCS implanted and then removed. I had a lot of nerve damage and it was causing more pain than I had.
    But like Jerome asked, is there any relief from the sciatica? Because that is the whole purpose of having one. Have you talked to your rep for the SCS? You should have a lot of questions him as well as your doctor.
    Good luck and keep us posted.

Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • advertisement
  • @nicki93711 - the results from my trial were inconclusive. As with you, I couldn't separate procedural pain from existing pain and evaluate the amount of pain relief I was seeing. The biggest difference I noticed was that I slept better during the trial. I decided to roll the dice and have the permanent implant. In spite of all the negative reviews you read here, it was the best decision I ever made. I experienced significant relief and was able to eliminate half of my pain meds. The recovery is not that bad. I was back to work in a week or two.