Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

ALIF

Hello everybody I am one week out after having an ALIF on limbar 3/4 I am not sure what to expect as far as recovery and what I should be doing at this point I find that I’m not needing a walker or cane when doing the stairs. I do still feel symptomatic as I was when I had surgery sometimes even a little worse in my ankle that had numbness and tingling just wondering at what point in your recovery did you feel like You were feeling a bit more like yourself. I am in a brace for three months I am a nurse and I don’t know how that’s going to work as far as going back to work I work 3  13 hour shifts a week and travel an hour to and from my job hope that your recovery is going well in any insight would be helpful thank you. I also have days that I feel like all that I want to do is sleep. I have stopped the Percocet and I’m taking Tylenol for pain which really doesn’t cut it completely

advertisement

Comments

• Welcome to the forum. 

It sounds like you simply need more time to pass. One week post-op is still very very early for a major surgery. 

Most people I know who have had single level fusions start feeling pretty good three to six months post-op.

Hang in there. It gets better.

• mermaid123- Welcome to spine health, you will find a wealth of knowledge on this site, there are several members on here that have recent ALIF surgeries, if you have not already done so please join Feb. surgery buddies, there are other members there that have had similar surgeries. It sounds like you are doing very well so far, please don't try to push it too hard, being off pain meds. so quickly may not be the right thing to do, you don't want to let the pain get ahead of you, that will delay your recovery, you are the only one that can decide when it is time to stop, it also sounds like you are having nerve pain, as a nurse I am sure you know that there are nerve specific medications to help control nerve pain, you may need to talk to your surgeon about that also. As far as going back to work goes, I had 2 lumbar fusion surgeries, first L5 second L3-L4 and I went back to work after both, I owned a auto repair shop, I was on my feet most of the day and still did some mechanical work, so yes it is possible you just have to adjust to certain situations. Good luck and keep us posted. Please remember surgery buddies

challenger
    Veritas-Health Moderator

• advertisement