Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Pain after acdf

Comments

• Hi everyone,

I just wanted to say thankyou for the support and caring everyone has shown to me.  I want to assure my friends here on SH that I am not giving up and am doing my best to deal with my health problems.  I have received messages in which others believe I am flying the surrender flag.  I think my writing style is reflective in nature which portrays me in the light of some defeated and dejected.  I must confess I am at times at a loss for answers and wonder what each new week may bring. 

Thank you all

God bless

dmo

• Dale, I am glad you are a fighter, we do not always understand the why's of it all, I know I don't, but I refuse to give up as long as I can contribute something to this sometimes cruel world, and I think you are the same way. Keep fighting and take care.

Chip 

challenger
    Veritas-Health Moderator

• advertisement
  • As a person of faith it is so heart breaking to look upon the cruel actions which sometimes defines the people of this Earth.  I am fortunate to be surrounded by good people with hearts of gold.  It is a blessing to me to live my life with an eye toward eternity.

God bless

dmo

• Every time my pain gets high Dale, I think of the pain Jesus Christ endured for my sins. It makes my pain insignificant! Hang in there Dale and know we’re all here for everyone on the good days and bad.....David

DavidG

Veritas-Health Forum Moderator

• Hi dmo,

Yes this sounds like the same scapula pain I also encounter since my ACDF. For me a mix of massage therapy, heating pads and medication have helped keep it under control. Have you tried massage therapy? 

Oh and I also employ meditation in my arsenal of treatments. I find this helps too.

Hope you're doing well today.

Missy.

Missy, 1 level ACDF 
    Degenerative Disc Disease.
    Sciatica.
    Chronic Pain.
  • advertisement
  • Oh and what David says too, I couldn't agree more.

God bless,

Missy.

Missy, 1 level ACDF 
    Degenerative Disc Disease.
    Sciatica.
    Chronic Pain.
  • For me, when I’m at my worst pain, focusing on what David said always put things into perspective. Thanks again David and keep the chin up Dale !

L3-S1 ALIF Feb 2018 and 

L3-S1 PLIF Laminectomy and Fusion March 2018

• Thank you all for the prayers and warm thoughts.  In this past week believe it or not I have not given much thought to my spine pain at all.  My kidneys and the pain involved with all this has been more than I could hardly stand.  I would walk the floors of my house at night  before I passed the stones.  In the silence of the midnight hour I would pray and plead for all this pain to be over.  Then to have to go through it all again after two days was beyond my comprehension.  I was right at my limit for pain and suffering.  If it were not for the ER I don't know how I would have survived it all.  I thank God I have insurance and the hospital was available to me.  I often think of others less fortunate as this is a cruel world for those not able to pay. 

God bless

dmo

• davrunnerddavrunner Posts: 586
    edited 03/05/2019 - 1:39 PM

dmo,

I have the same pain but concentrated on the left side.  I had a 3 level ACDF C4-7 5 years ago and the pain has been with me for the last 4 years or so.  the upper levels fully fused but the bottom level only has a thin line of bone between the c6 and c7.  The surgeon sent me for emg testing which showed moderate carpel tunnel so a year ago I had carpel tunnel surgery along with 2 trigger finger releases on my left hand.  The pain is the same in my upper back/neck area.  The hand surgeon said the upper back pain was most likely from coming from my neck.  CT with contrast showed that C3/4 had herniated since the surgery but wasn't impinging on any nerves.  I use lidocaine patches, heat and when possible massage just to get by.  I still work and will continue as it helps me to focus on something other than my pain.  I have an appointment in 2 weeks to discus further options.  Just wanted you to know there are others trying to find an answer.

Can't imagine kidney stones, I have been blessed so far not to have those.

laminectomy c4/c5 2008, ACDF c4-c7 Jan 20 2014 sched
  • Hi Dave,

Its great to hear from you.  I see you post messages then disappear for a month.  Roughly about a year passed from my fusion to the complete return of my pain.  Some of my symptoms are much better but in other ways I have new pain which is just as bad if not worse.  Add to this the fact my stomach is really bothering me and I have cancer I just cant win.  The kidney stones were just the greatest thing since sliced bread became available!!!  I passed four stones in four days.  I have never felt pain like that in my life.  I went to the ER twice in those four days.  They could have cut my head off I would not have cared!!! 

I am certain my stomach is pushed up into my diaphragm.  I had an endoscopic exam about five years ago which showed a small hernia.  If I am correct this means I get to do a hernia repair and a Nissan fundoplication to keep my stomach down where it belongs.  I can say I am so tired of hurting all the time I will do anything.  This is a nasty little surgery with a lot of side effects possible also.  I just cant live like I am much longer.  To many pain generators going on in my life. 

God bless

dmo

advertisement