Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Pain after acdf

Comments

• I pray that you get some relief soon, that is a lot of issues to be dealing with at one time.  When are you having the surgery for the hernia?

I come here when I need affirmation that I am not the only one going through this. sometimes I just read what others are going through and when I feel I have something to contribute I will post.   I try and stay busy but sometimes the pain puts a quick end to plans. I get frustrated that there is no quick solution and no real solution at all to the constant pain.  I'm one of the double enders, bad cervical and lumbar.  I have so far opted out of lumbar surgery, when the surgeon first gave the option of surgery it was either a 1 level discectomy to see if it would relieve my worst issues or a 3 level fusion l3-S1.  I took the wait approach and now have 4 ruptured discs as l2/l3 decided to join the party.  While I did get some relief from the ACDF, mainly in the form of regaining strength and control of my left arm, the pain and additional disc issues has me leary of tackling my lumbar.  I know it will be needed eventually, but for know I'll do what I can and pray for better days ahead. 

laminectomy c4/c5 2008, ACDF c4-c7 Jan 20 2014 sched
  • Dave I am with you on really all your comments.  After having my two level cervical fusion I have zero desire to fix my lumbar herniations at this point in time.  I really wish I had not had my cervical fusion.  I hurt worse now across my upper back than I ever did before.  While my arm pain and weakness did resolve it was really just a trade off.

I have an upper endoscopic exam next Tuesday to see how bad things are with my stomach.  I have no idea how I developed a hernia or why my stomach is hurting all the time now.  I am not overweight.  I weigh 172 pds and am 5 feet 11 inches tall.  I was always active before surgery but have not worked in two years now.  I still walk one hour each day.  I did speak to a surgeon about the hernia repair but now all the surgeons don't want to fix the hernia without doing a fundoplication which wraps part of my stomach around my esophagus.  They say without the stomach wrap I will suffer another hernia as my stomach will push back through again.  I have read a lot of testimonies on other sites and its really a nasty surgery with the possibility of numerous side effects. 

As is everyone here, I am just tired of hurting all the time.  If its not my neck or back its my stomach.  Should be a law somewhere that you can only have one pain problem at the time!!  lol. 

I totally get trying to do things you want like hobbies or yard work but the truth is I never feel like doing anything.  When I do start doing something I stop very shortly as my neck/back/stomach start hurting. 

God bless and my prayers are with you and everyone here. 

dmo

To say I spent a lot more time in prayer is an understatement.

• advertisement
  • Dale, is the Nissan absolutely necessary to ease your gastro pain? I ask because both my father and I have hiatal hernias, neither of us were told a hernia repair would be possible, only the dreaded Nissan procedure which we both have avoided by choice due to the affects, but also because it’s onky a 50/50 success rate from what my gastro doc told me 7 years ago when either the procedure was going to be necessary or to treat with meds. I chose meds and judging from the issues with Gerd related meds and links to cancer, I’d love to find a natural substitute for nex IUmb.

L3-S1 ALIF Feb 2018 and 

L3-S1 PLIF Laminectomy and Fusion March 2018

• Joel,

I had a small hiatal hernia about five years ago when I was last scoped.  My chest hurts now as my hurnia slides up and down making some good days and some days very bad.  After doing some research I found out many people who have gerd/reflux also suffer with IBS.  My appointment to get scoped is Tuesday and that should tell the whole story.  Believe me having all this going on is just sucking the life out of me.  Anyway I will know part of the picture next week.  I will then schedule a colonoscopy to see what else is going on and why I have lower abdominal pain also. 

I thought the success rate was better than 50/50.  If you go on the healing well website you can read plenty of first hand accounts from people having the Nissan procedure.  I have talked with a few who have had the surgery and they say their life is much better.  I know my quality of life lately is not very good. 

Let me say if I can do anything besides have surgery I will do it.  I take Dexilant, a PPI.  I also take bentyl for the cramping.  If you have any ideas or treatment options please let me know. 

God bless

dmo

advertisement