Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Loss of Sensation / Numbness

In 2010 I had my first back surgery, a microdiscectomy at L5/S1 due to a large herniated disc pressing on nerves and causing debilitating pain. Surgery resulted in immediate pain relief and I healed well with only slight loss of sensation remaining. In 2017, I experienced a sudden onset of muscle spasms in both buttocks. Returned to surgeon, MRI revealed the same disc had reherniated on the opposite side. Another surgery needed and done. With that sudden onset of pain, I vividly remember feeling my entire buttock and groin area go numb, including my entire private area, unfortunately. After surgery, this was the first thing I thought of and I immediately checked the area for sensation, only to still feel nothing. :(  The surgeon said it "should" return with time. That surgery was 15 months ago and I still have very little to no sensation in that area. You can imagine how upsetting this is and the effect it can have on a marriage. Fortunately, I have a wonderful, understanding, patient husband. I have since expressed my concern over the loss of sensation with my gynecologist and my family doctor and neither seem to think it's as big of a deal as it very much is to me. I don't know where else to turn or if anything can be done. Does anyone have any advice? Similar experiences to share? Thank you.

advertisement

Comments

• Unfortunately no one will think it’s a big deal if it’s not happening to them. I’m a guy and have this problem too but only on the right side. No one knows why exactly I’m experiencing what I’m experiencing. Waiting to get new MRI.

• BitzicatBBitzicat PhoenixPosts: 74

It happened to me also after fusion in the same area two and a half years ago.  Mine is only on the left side; who knew you could have half a vagina?  I have had every test possible and EMG confirmed compressed nerves and it’s been too long to expect them to recover.

• advertisement