Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Oxycontin / Oxycondone / Oxycodone ????

advertisement

Comments

• Some posts imply that there is a generic oxycontin, but then you say that only one company has rights to it until 2014. So is there a generic oxycontin out there or not? I am paying butt loads for the name brand and if there is generic - I would love to know. And if there is, do I call around to the pharmacies asking for it or if they have it they fill it generic right away?

Hope this made sense...my 4 year old was yanking on me the whole time I was trying to type!
  • The time limit was up years ago. Oxycodne in its Extended Release form is now being made by Impax (discontinued), Endo, Teva and also Watson along with Purdue Pharma. Please take a look at the site that I mention in several threads on this board, and you'll see the different companies producing the Extended Release Oxy. I'll put it up here again, its:

www.pharmer.org/imprints/narcotics#oxy

There are many narcotic pain meds and their pics at this site. Hydrocodone, Morphine, Oxycodone, and they break them down to with and without APAP.
  • advertisement
  • There are at least 3 companies making generic OxyContin or Extended Release Oxycodone. Impax, I think this one was discontinued, Teva, Watson and Endo. Endo used to have the patent on Percocet many many years ago. So don't be fooled by labels, some are very misleading.
  • I promise, there are no more generics. I work in a pharmacy and dispense this stuff all day long. We only have 40 mg left at my particular pharmacy. There are still some floating around out there, so there will still be info up about them, pill ID, lot number, etc. But it is not being manufactured at all any more, and won't be until the litigation is settled. Some strengths of Oxycontin never were available in generics - 30mg and 15mg were too new for example.

Some place still have some left, that's why some people are still able to fill scripts for them.
  • there are no generics right now! Impax is discontinued, Oxycontin time release is name brand only!

I did notice that, as we know, only one company can make brand name Oxycontin. However, amongst all the discontinued brands such as Impax, Endo, Teva, Etc (yes they are discontinued) there is one which was approved for time release oxycodone as 10 20 40 and 80s, and it's MALLINCKRODT. It was approved at the end of July this year, july 24th. I believe it usually takes at least a few months for generics to make it to market, but this SEEMS that there may be a new one not to long from now. HERRBALL, disregard that pharmer.org site and check out this one, the FDA web site linked to the relevant oxy page HERE

It's much more reliable info, with documents and such attached. Check out the link on the last Mallinckrodt line near the bottom, and you will find details as to the strength, when it was approved, and linked PDF's etc.
  • advertisement
  • There seems to be a bit of controversy here. I went to the site and looked up all of the Oxy meds and there seems to be a problem. Someone jumped the gun somewhere with the FDA. I have a close friend that has had over 22 knee surgeries and now has 2 titanium knee joints. They have given him nothing but problems and he has been on the 80 mg OC for over 10 years. For the last 2 years he has been taking the 80 mg generic version from Teva that only costs him $10.00 per script. He takes 3 per day and has been taking these things like I said for the last two years. So, somebody goofed in the FDA site, and there are GENERIC OC tablets out there. The only company I thought that discontinued the OC was Impax Laboratories. I guess Ethex stopped too. Now Ethex still makes the IR version in 5, 15, and 30 mg strengths.
  • I'm looking into it now. Thank you. I was wondering about the age of the site I had been relying on for the past few years. Thanks again, and good luck to you with your new PM Doc...
  • Teva and Endo had to stop making them, the 80mg pills as well. There are still small piles left here and there of generic, but they are running out. Maybe he uses a big company like drugstore.com or something, where they would probably have had a LOT more stockpiled, but the agreement was that they could sell the rest until it ran out, and then that's that. Hopefully your friend gets lucky and his source doesn't run out before a new generic hits the market, but for the bajillionth time there are NO NEW generic Oxycontin being manufactured. As a pharmacy employee said above also, no generics. Nobody goofed at the FDA. Small amounts of generic exist, no more is being made. End of story. (close post please!) lol
  • what is the drug idenfication number for Oxycontin ER (Extended Relief) 10,20,40,80 and at one time 160mg
    and does this mean the same as the rx# that is on your prescription bottle?
  • welcome to Spine Health, your doctor can answer questions like that for you. Careful on the street bike!
advertisement