Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

L4-L5 sciatica question

As the title suggests, I had severe sciatica pain from March 2018 to January 2019, affecting me daily. To the point where I couldn’t raise my leg past 30 degrees and generally had sleepless nights. Not to mention the shooting and back pains too. The doctor said a huge piece of disc was removed along with an ‘oddly shaped vein’. Anyway I had the operation removing part of the disc and for the first few weeks I have generally been fine. The wound pain in the back has gone, however in the last 3-4 days I have been getting the shooting pains down my leg. Not to the level as it was pre-op, however bad enough to make me wonder whether it has been reherniated? I haven’t done anything except walking as advised and wanted peoples advice or expierences on this as it’s causing a lot of stress for me. 

Thanks

advertisement

Comments

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,475

joelpfc
    welcome to spine-health
    all new members should take the system tutorial

weeks after surgery, it is not unusual to have nerve pain. the nerves that were compressed before surgery have now got to wake up and start functioning again. depending on the surgery, this could take weeks or months. if it gets too painful, call your doctor.

i have permanent nerve damage therefore i take neurontin for the pain. i also use ice packs which helps a lot.
    take care and keep us posted on how you are doing.

Sandra
    Veritas-Health Forum Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • Thanks for the speedy response, I do not usually make accounts on forums, however felt that this is different when health is involved. So I assume what I’m facing is normalish?

• advertisement

When was your surgery? Most of the time it is normal. If you had re-herniated it would be painful, not just nerve pain. You have to look at what goes on during surgery. Nerves are moved, touched and sometimes cut. After surgery, they have to start healing like everything else that was touched. I know it doesn't feel that way, but this is a good thing. At least they are waking up.
    Read the link below on recovery.
    Recovery, the most important phase - Patience required

Take care

Sandra
  • Surgery was on January 22nd

• Joel

You are very early in recovery, and like Sandra stated nerves waking up is a good thing, although painful, if this continues it would be worth a call to your surgeon to talk about nerve specific medications, they can be very helpful for nerve pain. Ice can also be very helpful in reducing nerve pain, I use them multiple times daily. You have also joined the best forum on the net. there are people here that are willing to answer your questions that have experienced most everything to do with the spine. Good luck and keep us posted.

Chip

challenger
    Veritas-Health Moderator

• advertisement
  • Have a follow up appointment now so will see what is said in the meeting

• The follow up was discussed and the pain was explained to be normal and many of the nerves are waking up. Should be back to normal in 6 weeks. My concern was actually more for the L5 - S1 disc below which actually looks like it is degenerating!

• joel

Hopefully your doctor looked at L5-S1 and decided that it was okay for now, as far as the nerve pain goes, be patient, that is the hardest part of recovery, after my last surgery in Nov. 2018 it took three months for the nerve pain to calm down, still have some in the right foot, nerves are the slowest and last thing to heal and go away, I hope your doctor is right about the 6 weeks.

Chip

challenger
    Veritas-Health Moderator

Joel

I am so glad you got the nerve pain confirmed by your doctor. Did he prescribe anything to help relieve your pain?
    Hang in there, like we all say, it takes time.
    Take care and let us know how your are progressing.

Sandra
advertisement