Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement
New Members, Please read our Forum Rules before submitting your first discussion

please!!!! ANY help???

I am 50 yrs old and have dealt with all types of pain in my life, however in January ( 3 months ago ) I was awakened by the most AWEFUL cramping, stabbing, tightness in my right shoulder blade area into chest/heart/lung area..I am pretty tough, but this had me screaming,  almost zombie like in my bed.  I have tried heat, ice, pain pills, baths, massage, creams!This happens EVERY night/or day when I am "sleeping". I went to the E.R. and had c scan with dye, chest xrays, blood work, allll came back normal?? I was In shock, they found nothing! I am taking pain pills due to an elbow/ortho prob and even the pain pills do NOT budge this pain. I have googled/asked  Pharms/described to  Family doc, NEVER any answers of what this could be SINCE my xrays n scans came back with nothing that could be the prob! I am at the point where I do NOT want to sleep because I KNOWW the pain coming, and without a doubt, it happens EVERY time. This has been THREE MONTHS now and I can not function. This just happened to take place while I was out of work for my seasonal job, but NOW it is time for me to return to work! I am TERRIFIED I am not going to be able to function normal without proper sleep! Can ANYONE PLEASE lead me in the right direction or give me ANY idea of what might be causing this????  or ANYTHING that might help ease this pain as I sleep?? My ortho doc mentioned a muscle that lays on spine?? ( that's about as far as he went with that info ). PLEASE, PLEASE help me

advertisement

Comments

• Jodine, you might want to go back to your MD with all test results and explain all you have told us. Some diagnosis are harder to find! Neck and back issues can and will cause the symptoms you describe and there are other test such as EMGs, mylograms, that can be performed to isolate this problem. Stupid question, do you sleep on your side and is this the side that hurts? Please keep us informed. You’ve come to the right site!.......David

DavidG

Veritas-Health Forum Moderator

• I’d request an MRI. MRI is much better than a CT for these types of issues IMO.

• advertisement
  • memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,370

L4_L5, I was going to say the same thing. If it were me I would request a MRI and an appointment follow up for a complete explanation of the MRI.

Sandra
    Veritas-Health Forum Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • Thank you for responding.. David, I sleep in every position to be honest.. I prefer sleeping on my stomach, however with this stupid crap/extreme pain going on, I can pnly lay on my stomach for about 15 mins before the spasms start uuuuhg... so, does this sound right to you guys.... I have an appointment this wed, the 13th ( march 2019 ) with physical therapy..AGAIN from ortho doc saying it is a muscle that is attached to the spine...my gosh yall, I feel silly NOT knowing his exact words, however he did send all my info over to the physical therapy doc, abd I WILL KNOW correct names n terms after wed. and I WILL let yall know what they say... because, I feel like its a deeper problem...something they are missing. and nowww, The pain has wrapped around to both ribs area and covers the whole area of my chest/ribs/shoulder blade/wing area. I DID request an MRI my very first visit to Family doc, HA, they gave me Tramidol ( which I hate and did not take ) and an anti flamitory diclofenacand told me to take that for 2 weeks...did NOT make a diff at all..and THATS when I told the ortho doc, who has since refered me to Physical therapy!! I can NOT take this pain anymore, its aweful! Now, I feel like I am having panic attacks when the spasms start "as I am/WAS sleeping".. again thank you for responding. hellllllllp

• also, David I am glad you mentioned my neck.... something feels out of whack with that lately, I just chalked it up to not being able to get proper sleep and the crazy positions I have been trying to lay/remain in while TRYING to sleep....I have set up camp on my couch, to TRY and sleep in a sitting up position.. I will say, it doesn't STOP the spasms, however it seems to prolong them, OH don't hear /read me wrong, the spasms STILL come EVERY time I "sleep", but I found that being on the couch atleast allows me an HOUR versus 10 mins of actually being "asleep" before the pain wakes me up....now lower right lung/rib area hurts all day/awake. like someone has punched me. I actually requested 3 more weeks before I start work to TRY and straighten this out and get SOME answers or see IF this physical therapy even helps.

• advertisement
  • Thank you Memer and L4

• ok... I went to my PT.....sooo, she said sounds like my neck... buuut my ortho doc said it was  my RHOMBOID muscle.... ever heard of that?? and any suggestions??

• Did your Dr order the MRI?  I would be pushing for that.  I had pain and trouble sleeping that led to an MRI which didn't show the total problem, bulging and ruptured discs that weren't impacting nerves directly.  That led to a myelogram which diagnosed pinched nerve at outlet of c4/c5 had laminectomy which resolved the pain.  Gave me 6 years before needing a fusion for the other issues.  If my surgeon had just gone with the xrays and original mri may not have found the pinched nerve, perseverance is required to find the answer.

Have you tried sleeping in a recliner?  That was the only way I could get any sleep before the surgery.

laminectomy c4/c5 2008, ACDF c4-c7 Jan 20 2014 sched
advertisement