Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

2 years and counting

Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum. On May 18 2017 i bent over at work and herniated two discs L4/L5. L5-S1 and also tore the disc in L5-S1.

I have degrinative disc and also stenosis. Everyday I wake in pain and everynight I go to sleep in pain. I was told by L&I and I didn’t qualify for any treatment on there in and also I am not considered for disability. I am 32 and my qaulity of life is very sad. I suffer from depression now and had to quite my job and find a new career. I joined the forum to join a community of people that also understand what I am going through. My boyfriend try’s but just doesn’t understand and it’s put a huge strain on our relationship. I hope that this can help me have another outlet to turn to when the pain gets to be to much. 

Hope to hear from someone soon!

Amber

advertisement

Comments

• Hello Amber

Welcome to Spine-Health

Here you will find people who are walking in your shoes and  offer up a supportive community!

Please use the Welcome link below my signature for more info about and inside Spine-Health while you wait for answers

William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod
    erator

Welcome to Spine-Health

• Do you have a worker’s comp lawyer? That’s where I’d start.

• advertisement
  • Amber,

Very sorry to hear about your struggles and I understand.  This type of situation does put strains on every aspect of life.  I've been dealing with similar issues and pain now for almost 15 years.  Only in the last 2 since surgery has it really gotten worse.  I cannot interact with my kids the way I would like and it's hard for me to attend their sporting events as the only place to sit is on those metal bleachers...needless to say, that is an awful option.  Depression does come as a side dish of these issues unfortunately, I empathize.  Hang in there and do your due diligence with regards to second opinions and recommendations from medical professionals. I hope you find relief.

• sellaiassellaia Posts: 32
    edited 03/14/2019 - 7:38 PM

Dear Amber,

I am so sorry to hear about your situation, and in many ways, I can relate to it. I am also 32 years old and I also wake up and go to bed in pain every day. In fact, I am writing this laying on the floor because I can barely walk due to the pain this afternoon. 

During the first few years, I didn't know how to deal with pain and depression and it really affected my relationships with my loved ones and cost me my then-fiancé. To be honest, to this day I still think about her and about how had I not been in so much pain I would of have been able to make more sense of what was going on.

In sum, if there is a lesson I learned from this, and that could be valuable to you, is that it is possible to have a very happy and fulfilling life despite chronic pain as long as you learn how to manage it and get the support and help you need in time. 

As someone mentioned it previously, I would first try to get legal advice from a compensation lawyer. My biggest regret about my injury is that I did not take legal action or try to get compensation until many years later when it was too late. 

Secondly, do try to get as many medical opinions as possible and avoid or delay invasive surgeries as long as possible. Look at the posts from people with fusions, disc replacements etc., and you'll immediately understand why.

Finally, there are many ways to manage your pain besides medication. In my case a well-structured routine incorporating yoga, core strengthening and swimming combined with adequate rest and massage allow me to maintain a minimal level of functionality and happiness. 

Feel free to reach out to me any time on this post or via DM if you need to talk about how you feel and what you are experiencing. I found a bit of solace in speaking with other members of the forum when things were really going aweful for me.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,552

Amber, getting into the condition of chronic pain has many physical and emotional tools.

Please read and respond to   New Member Guidelines and Checklist

Also, take a look at:

Chronic Pain, a step by step treatment approach

Diagnosing Back Problems

All about Depression and Coping

While, there is no one here on Spine-Health that can fix your condition, you will find member after member who understand what you are going through.   In many ways, this is a large virtual support group for those suffering with chronic pain.

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • advertisement
advertisement