Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Sciatic pain is back..

I’m 4 months post op of L4-5 microdiscectomy. Before surgery I was in constant pain and limping when walking. I woke up from surgery and I felt amazing because the pain was completely gone. I followed through with physical therapy for 4 weeks to build core strength and still no pain. I have been walking every morning and doing rehab exercises on my own since surgery. 2 weeks ago I came down with the flu and it’s the only time I didn’t do any exercises for 7 days. After I started feeling better I started my exercise routine again. 3 days ago I woke up with sciatic pain again! I have no back pain, but it feels like I have a muscle spasm on my nerve in my glute area. Has anyone has this problem with muscle spasms in this area so long after surgery? I would love to contact my neurosurgeon but he moved to a different city, which I didn’t find out he was doing until after my surgery. 

advertisement

Comments

• hmayet

Welcome to Spine-Health

I would not be too concerned just yet, give it another week or so and see how it goes, I still get bouts of sciatica from time to time and my last lumbar surgery was a little over 3 years ago, it usually last about a week before it clears up.
    Chip

challenger
    Spine-Health Moderator

• I had muscle spasms in my thigh after surgery, and dull ache in my groin. PT sorted that out, along with dedication to my exercises. I feel 100% today, at 6 months, but I know a bout of sciatica would rock my mental state.

Would you describe it as full-on sciatica (like the pre-surgery misery), or just a shadow of it?

• advertisement
  • The pain in my lower leg is exactly like before surgery. Although, before surgery I had more of burning in my hip. Now it’s muscle spasms in my glute area. I broke down and went see my general practitioner before panicking and finding a new surgeon. He seems to think I possibly over worked the muscles and they are contracting on the sciatic nerve. He wants to give it a week of muscle relaxers and NSAIDs before doing more test. I can say it is SLOWLY getting better, but it still screams at me when I sit or lay a certain way.

• Glad to hear that you are seeing improvement.

challenger
    Spine-Health Moderator

advertisement