Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Lower back pain

I started having lower back pain 3 weeks ago between going to PT and steroids I now walk with a walker and i'm very week in my legs and feet Help tell me what's going on 

advertisement

Comments

• LizLiz Posts: 9,745

Liz, 

Veritas-Health Forum Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • MarcusB

Liz posted some links, please look at and complete so we can have more information.

Chip

challenger
    Veritas-Health Moderator

• advertisement
  • I had yearly sciatic pain in butt and down my legs it was so serve this year that they put me on steroids and the sent me to PT  while i was in PT the pain got so severe the my core got weak and by week 2 i was on a walker, 

i went to the orthopedic doctor they did an MRI and found i have moderate degenerative disc change at L4 L3and L4 and L5 and they say it's herniated and they want to do surgery.

My legs are so weak I can barley stand and when i do stand it hurts but I'm afraid of surgery any other ideas 

• MarcusB

I would be worried if you weren't scared, but you have to ask yourself if you are prepared to live like this for the rest of your life, that answer, usually makes things a little easier.

It sounds like to me that you must have nerve compression by the symptoms you described, that is something that need's to be taken care of as soon as possible.

The decision to have surgery has to be your's and your's only, my suggestion would be to get a second opinion and compare what the doctor's say, if they both agree that surgery is the only option, that should make your decision a lot easier.

Good luck and keep us posted

Chip

challenger
    Veritas-Health Moderator

• I'm in the first week post surgery L5 L4 herniated disk issues, I can stand taller than i did before although i find my feet and legs are still numb, i have slight pain but not bad as it was i go for my post op appointment next week is it normal to still have numbness my weakness has gone away totally just the numbness now

• advertisement
  • Marcus

Sounds like you are doing pretty good, numbness is pretty normal at this stage, the nerves need time to recover from being compressed and the surgery where they were moved around and stretched, they will start to wake up and when they do don't be surprised if you get some nerve pain, that's just a heads up, it may not happen at all, but if it does you will know what is happening.

Take it easy and give yourself time to heal, follow all your doctor's instructions, I have posted a good link for you below.

Recovery, the most important phase - Patience required

Chip

challenger
    Veritas-Health Moderator

• i noticed my legs feel heavy is that normal?

advertisement