Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Cauda Equina recovery stories

I’m really desperate. I’m one week out from an emergency laminectamy to my l5s1 to decompress and relieve my sciatica and for about 30 hours, total numbness in legs, butt and groin, I’m now still in pain and still numb and very incontinant. I can’t feel when I have to go, and sometimes when I stand up I just pee all over. It’s so envarassing I’m only 31 am I gonna be in diapers the rest of my life?!?  Having such a bad night right now 

advertisement

Comments

• L4_L5LL4_L5 Posts: 1,459
    edited 03/23/2019 - 6:56 AM

I would go to the ER if this happened to me. Anytime you can’t control your bodily functions constitutes an emergency IMO. 

Don’t be embarrassed. It’s a legitimate medical condition. 

• I did go to the er.. they did emergency surgery. I’m still in the hospital with no feeling or bladder control 

• advertisement
  • Caseyb99 since you are still in the hospital and are in the first week of your recovery you are being monitored by professionals and you must have faith in your medical team first.  Then you must not panic , you must replace that P with Patience. Emergency Spinal surgery is major and you must follow your doctors orders for OT and PT, which I assume you receive daily, if not twice daily.  Just focus on positives in your life and try your hardest to be patient, anytime you have that serious of nerve compression it will take quite a while for your nerves to calm down and hopefully heal.  I am 1 year post op had four nerve impingements and am still dealing with leg and foot nerve related issues, it takes time, effort (PT) and other methods to get through. There are many knowledgeable people and valuable links on this forum for you to learn more about recovery and treatment.  Good luck to you 

L3-S1 ALIF Feb 2018 and 

L3-S1 PLIF Laminectomy and Fusion March 2018

•  Casey

I am sorry you are going threw this and at such a young age. But as Joel stated at times it does take time. I know it can be both frustrating and frightening. Hopefully this is only temporary.  I really cant offer you advice since I haven't surgery on my lower back ( crossing finger) yet.

But please keep us posted and I truly wish you the best and a fast recovery. Keep calm and try and relax I know that's easier said then done.

• I just had surgery for ces in March. I am slowly getting better but it is slow and painful and frustrating. I have some bladder control but overnight forget about it. I was in retention but based on the numbers I record daily it's starting to get better. 

I was sent home with a catheter in place 2 weeks later it came out I was home for a week and then we determined retention now I'm in my month of recording how much I pee with and without the catheter  (I self catheterize). I am lucky I pretty much have bowel control unless I have overly soft stool. 

I am also young 33 to be exact so I know how devastating this can be (living like you are 80). If you have not seen a urologist I would asap. 

Depending on where you live a lot of people have nor heard of CES or they think it is due to MS and that can make things frustrating. Hopefully since this is over a month old you are feeling better. 

• advertisement
advertisement