Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot

In this Discussion

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

PLIF April 1st L2-L5

Hi, I'm scheduled for surgery next Monday.  read through all the fantastic lists and guides! thanks to all who went through that for us!

I have severe stenosis (and scoliosis) that began showing up last year with severe nerve pain shooting down my legs from my gluts to my ankles.  I already have lots of doctors so first made the rounds to make sure it wasn't the effect of something else, then went to a chiropractor nearby (2+ months in, and barely able to function).  He immediately sent me for Xray, and then MRI and told me the good news "he can make it feel better for a while and give me time" and the bad "you have to have surgery".  I've never heard a chiro say that so was a little shocked.

(He did give me time- it's been about 9 months and pain is down from a 9.5 continuously to 2-3-4 intermittently) Thank god for flexion-distraction!

I interviewed 3 recommended surgeons (Lucky to be in Chicago) and do lots of research before settling on a final doc.  Originally they all looked to a Laminectomy but after a CAT scan - they each took that off the table. after all the scans there is a long list of issues, but basically, scoliosis is the problem. 

I met with my physical therapist that I've worked with on and off for the last 10 years and she's been greatly helpful - and ready for my next round with her. 

I have other issues that will complicate my recovery (and have made pre-op fitness difficult) - in 2009 I was hit by a boat and had major damage to both legs.  I have difficulty walking or standing for a long time... even though my back is good enough over the last 6 months to walk and keep in shape, I can't go more than a couple of blocks. So that's frustrating until someone invents a way to have you exercise without moving...

advertisement

Comments