Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Gearing up for surgery and terrified of it

Hey all.

I have decided to go ahead and have my surgery, my neuro will be performing a fusion at the c5-c6 level. I have severe cord and nerve compression at this point but he believes the nerve damage, if any, is minimum at this point. We will know more after the surgery he said. I am looking at a 6-8 month recovery he said. He did however mention that the fusion may help my cervical spine return to its normal curve over time. As for my tremors he is almost certain they are coming from my nerve compression but we will know more after surgery. I dont have a date set, still waiting on insurance along with a Cat scan my neuro ordered to make sure of a few things.

I am super nervous for this surgery, I know its minor but I am only 26 and I know its very rare for someone my age to have this type of issue but I am hoping that it improves my quality of life and after because after two years of it getting worse, I am ready to be better again.

I know its not major surgery but the stories Ive heard and read on here have me a bit worried going in. Does anyone have any advice for me going in to surgery and what to expect coming out? all words of wisdom from those who have gone through this before would be greatly appreciated!

advertisement

Comments

• Baseball, for what it’s worth, my cervical fusion was the first time I’ve been a patient in a hospital since I was born and I was 54 at the time. I was so scared that if I could have learned to run with the cheeks of my butt, I would have set records lol. Afterwards I found out the worst part of the whole procedure was the anticipation OF the surgery! Stop googling, stop trying to compare, that only makes it worse! Relax and know your in good hands with a highly trained team! Keep us posted and if you need a ear to vent we’re here...David

DavidG

Veritas-Health Forum Moderator

• Like David said the anticipation is pretty bad, especially if this is your first surgery, try your best not to over think it, if this helps any at all I had C4-C7 fusion surgery in Feb. 2018, everything went well, stayed overnight and came home the next day, my arm and hand felt better as soon as I woke up, and I hope your's does too.

Keep us posted

Chip

challenger
    Veritas-Health Moderator

• advertisement
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,527

Please take a look at  Getting Ready for Surgery

Its only natural to have some level of anxiety prior to surgery.   Learning the most you can about your condition and surgery will help

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,372

like ron said, learn as much as you can prior to surgery. that way you will be able to ask the right questions. when you know the date,please join us in surgery buddies for that month. there you will be with other members waiting on surgery and/or in recovery.
    the link below has also helped a lot of members prepare for before and after surgery.
    post op must haves 

take care and please keep us posted.

Sandra
    Veritas-Health Forum Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
advertisement