Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Chymopapain Chemonucleolysis Injection

Hello,

I’m very interested in getting a Chymopapain injection to dissolve or reduce a sequestered disc fragment and ultimately reduce pressure on my nerve root. Based on quite a bit of research this appears to be a good intermediate treatment before resulting to surgery.

However, apparently this treatment is not widely available in the US, if at all. My understanding it is still used in Europe and parts of Asia, maybe Canada.

Does anybody have any tips about medical tourism?Specifically finding a facility that will offer the treatment and then vetting them. I’ve done quite a bit of research and have found that it is still offered in multiple places and that it has a high success rate, but can’t seem to find facilities that actually offer it. I think part of it is a language barrier.... 

I know we can’t solicit specific recommendations for doctors on the forum, so I’m more just looking for help to get the ball rolling.

Separately if anybody knows of minimally invasive treatments available in the US to reduce the size of a disc fragment, I’d be very interested. My doctor is saying I’m getting to a point where I have to decide on surgery to remove the fragment or risk permanent nerve damage.

advertisement

Comments

• oldtown

welcome to spine-health

if you will go to the search box at the top of the screen and punch in chymopapain you will find a few articles on the procedure, it looks like because of some very bad side affects that it is very rare in the u.s.
    i would read those articles and continue your research before looking farther.
    chip

challenger
    Veritas-Health Moderator

• Hi Chip,

Thanks for the feedback. Yea I’ve read them and quite a few articles through other sources as well. The primary reasons it fell out of favor was 1) severe allageric reactions which in some cases resulted in death and 2) there wasn’t a clear consensus of the effectiveness over microdiscsectomy. People with allergies can properly be screened to prevent, but it still fell out favor here in the US. 

• advertisement
  • I know surgery is a big step and scary, if you can get by with a microdiscetomy it may be a safer option, I know there is a recovery time, but it is minimal.

Chip

challenger
    Veritas-Health Moderator

• If you have a microdisectomy it’s always important to follow the surgeons instructions to a tee. 

I’ve heard of too many people re-herniating and then requiring a second or third surgery. Then when you add up the extra time the recovery period suddenly becomes similar to if you had a fusion.

advertisement