Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

We're building a better forum experience with you in mind. Beginning June 26, 2019, all Veritas Health forums will move to forum.veritashealth.com.

Learn More

Re-herniated disc

I had surgery on my lower back last month 2/11 for a herniated disc. I was feeling amazing for weeks and then even started to go back to work last week. Tuesday I was walking from my car to the building at work and I felt a shorting pain behind my thigh..... sciatica came back. I went in for an mri today and I re herniated the same disc. I can’t stand up straight or walk anymore like I have been able to for the last month and a half :’(. I go in on Monday to discuss my options but I’m just so upset that I can’t be optimistic anymore. Why me? 

advertisement

Comments

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,434

What type of spinal surgery was it and at what disc levels?

With surgery such as Discectomy that removes  part or all of a vertebral disc that has herniated.   While not that common, especially doing something as light as you were doing,   there are times that when the surgery removed only a portion of the disc, it may herniate again.

Over the years, I had  a Hemilaminectomy  three times on L4/L5.   But mine was due to the fact that I over did too much and did not follow  post surgical instructions

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • I had a laminectomy discectomy at L4 L5. It’s so frustrating because I just finallly shut my short term disability claim, went back to work, was doing normal things again. I think I’m going to have to go to fusion route, because I know those injections won’t help me. I’m taking a steroid right now, but it’s not helping at all. I can’t even stand up straight let alone walk. 

• advertisement
  • emilyd23

welcome to spine-health

i understand that you are hurting and frustrated right now, but you cannot let it get you down, i had the same thing happen to me after my first back surgery on l5, i was operated on again 3 months after the first, my recovery went great and i was back to work after 6 weeks, so i know exactly what you are going through, the main thing right now is keeping your head screwed on straight, that can be the hardest part of it all, but the more you stress over this the harder everything becomes, muscles tighten up, you end up with headaches and so on, find something you can do that you enjoy, reading, puzzles, tv, etc. that will get your mind off everything else and do it, just keep saying to yourself that this will get better.
    stay strong and keep us posted, there will always be someone here if you need to get something off your chest.

chip  

challenger
    Veritas-Health Moderator

• Did you end up having to have a fusion? I feel like that is my only option since they already had to take out so much of my disc last time. I followed all the rules; didn’t bend over; wasn’t twisting, even bought one of those grabber claws. And for it to happen while I was WALKING... I’m just so flabbergasted. I was seriously feeling the best I had ever felt. Just the thought of having to deal with insurance, disability, being off work again is making me sick to my stomach

• I did not have a fusion at that time, and mine was a pretty big herniation, I did have to get a fusion but it was 30 years later, I needed another discetomy on L4 after a nasty fall at work 10 years after my first two surgeries.

I know you are very worried that you will need a fusion, I will tell you that fusion surgery is not the end of the world, I consider both of my fusion surgeries a success, there are a lot of very successful stories of people that have had fusion surgery, most of the time you don't hear many of those, they have surgery, recover and go on with their life, I fought against fusion surgery for 6 years, I was in pain management, had a spinal cord stimulator, injections and everything else that could be tried, looking back I wish I had went ahead with the surgery when it was first offered.

I am not saying that fusion surgery is easy, it's not, but I did very well with both, I went back to work at 4 weeks after the first and 9 weeks after the second, I owned a auto repair facility, still did some mechanical work myself, I would still be working if my neck and thoracic hadn't given out.

If I can answer any more questions don't hesitate to ask, let me know what the doctor said.

Chip

challenger
    Veritas-Health Moderator

• advertisement
advertisement