Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Synovial Cyst

I am 47 years old and I have a synovial cyst in my lower back. The doctor thinks I damaged my spine falling (I've slipped on ice multiple times).  I have had a CT guided injection with local anesthetic mixed with corticosteroid to rupture of the cyst. It is successful and lasts about a year. However, this is my third year and I have to go though months of ridiculous pre-visits and x-rays/scans before I am allowed to get this procedure done.  I am in pain the entire time awaiting this procedure to be scheduled and subsequently missing work when my back is at its worst.  My husband thinks it is time for me to have surgery, but the only thing they tell me is that I have to have a fusion to completely fix this. Has anyone had a spinal fusion in the lower spine and if so, how bad is it? Do you lose mobility and bend-ability in that area?  How long ago did you have it and if it has been a while, do you still feel good?

advertisement

Comments

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,518

All you need to do is look over just a handful of discussions to find hundreds of posts talking about lumbar spinal fusion.

Specifically, you may want to look at  Spine Surgery for Synovial Cyst

What kind of diagnostic tests did  you have for the doctor to state that they Think it was damaged during a spine fall

Then what was the doctor's recommendation for correcting the problem?   Did the doctor talk about a surgical solution or is that what you and your husband believe is needed?

I wasnt quite sure after reading your post.

You have provided us with information, but giving us some more can help.  Please read and respond to

New Member Guideline and Checklist

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • maryooch71

welcome to spine-health

learn how to use spine-health - take the system tutorial 

new member information guideline / checklist 

i am fused l3-l5 done in 2 separate surgeries, the first in 2015, second in 2016, as far as mobility i really do not notice that much difference, my surgeon said that most of your ability to bend comes from your hips, surgery is not easy, but after the first couple of weeks it really was not that bad pain wise, recovery does take time, there are a fair amount of restrictions that you need to follow, no bending, lifting or twisting, and wearing a back brace, i was required to wear it for 3 months.

as far as how i feel now as compared to before, i would have the surgery again in a heartbeat.

if i can answer questions, feel free to ask.

chip  

challenger
    Veritas-Health Moderator

• advertisement