Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Med list and History

As I was reading the post in reference to Narcan, made me remember one of the most important things you can do to help yourself,  the EMS crew, as well as the ER staff. One day when your bored, type and print a list of all medications you take with dosages, how many per day, as well as listing your medical history and a list of contact numbers for all your Doctors and Emergency contacts ie: Family members. Make a couple copies and place them on your refrigerator with a magnet. If EMS ever has to respond to your residents and it’s a load and go situation, that information is invaluable to everyone! Most unassisted living facilities down here make that a requirement.....David

DavidG

Veritas-Health Forum Moderator

advertisement

Comments

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,525

David,

That is always helpful.  Being that my wife has been in the medical field for over 40 years and I've been a medical patient for over 40 years, having the right information is always so important

I keep an up to date list of all of my medications, dosage, when started, reason.  I always bring a copy of this to any new doctor visit, plus I have a wallet size I keep and I keep it on my phone as a pdf file which I can provide to the doctors.

I also do this with my surgical history.  It saves a lot of time.

And as you probably know, the medical personnel love this.  I have heard so many stories for medical technicians about a patients medication list.

I take 2 blue pills and 1 yellow every day
    I dont know, my wife gives them to me
    One is round and the other is a capsule
    I have to take it with milk

Those are true statements.  I've always though of doctors and the medical field as being some type of detectives.  So, we always need to provide them with the most accurate and up to date clues we have.   This just makes one piece of their job a bit easier.

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • Ron, another big reason these list are great is due to the Opioid overdoses, there WILL be a lot of Diabetics having Narcan sprayed up their nose. As a unconscious diabetic presents with the same symptoms as a unconscious overdose. And you couldn’t be more correct in how many people truly don’t know what medications they take, especially when their unconscious. Even conscious patients, some patients will take all their medications and put them in a large bag and take to the ER, only to have them lost or stolen, then it’s back to I take a blue pill, A water pill, and I think 10 others but I don’t know for what.. Some members are young and know what they take. If that’s the case, insure you have a updated list for your parents.......David

DavidG

Veritas-Health Forum Moderator

• advertisement
  • Great topic DavidG!  It is so important to have that info.

Like Ron I have mine and my husband meds lists in my phone.  When I revise one, I note the date it was revised and then send both to my husbands phone so he can replace the old ones.

Last year when hubby had a stroke, I was able to text his med list and info to the doctor so she had it asap!  His list also includes he takes blood thinners, has a mechanical mitral valve, the make and serial number and that it is MRI compatible. Also has my contact info. 

He also wear dog tags with that same info.

If you are diabetic, use blood thinners, etc. please get some emergency jewelry.  They have something for everyone and we were told by his cardiologist that EMTs are trained to look for the jewelry.

Cindy

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,525

Cindy, very smart... A lot of people with different medical conditions do not wear those medical braclets...  I like that you called them dog tags.  Makes it sound more more important

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
advertisement