Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

We're building a better forum experience with you in mind. Beginning June 26, 2019, all Veritas Health forums will move to forum.veritashealth.com.

Learn More

Pain from sleeping - please help!!

Hi all,

I’m really hoping you can help or give me some advice. I’ve been struggling with back problems for about 3 years now. Before I get started on my story I just want to say I’ve never had a professionals advice, no doctors or any other professional. The reason for this is I do not want it on my medical file if I can prevent it. I haven’t taken any medication or been prescribed any meds. 

I’m a 24 year old male, I’ve always been relatively fit and healthy. I’ve always played a lot of sport and was an active child. I go to the gym and run weekly. 

My back problems started 3 years back. At first I thought this was related to the gym or poor/incorrect technique. I then thought it May be where I sit at a computer for 8-9 a day for work. 

I now have since resolved this through getting up a lot at work and corrected my gym techniques. and I’m sure my back problems come from my sleep as when I wake up in the morning my back hurts. 

It started off with lower back pains, I’m a side sleeper.. I thought my mattress was too soft (100% memory foam) which was misaligning my back in my sleep. This was like a dull ache or stiffness in my lower central back. 

so I got a new mattress. No memory foam just a spring mattress. This helped for the first 6 months. 

I then started to feel hip pain rather than lower back pain. Again I think this is where the mattress was too hard my body can’t get rest or align, so now I just feel as though my hips are bruised when I wake up. 

I then bought a mattress topper (eve sleep) which was quite expensive. As it had great reviews. My hip pain has now stopped and the pain has reverted to a stiffness in my lower back. 

I’ve tried stretching lots in the morning and before bed. As well as different sleeping positions. 

Is there anything I can do or anything you can suggest for me? Before I go to a professional and ask for help.. I really don’t want medication and would rather find the cause and prevent it than just masking the problem. I feel like I get 5 years older every day. I really don’t want to have to live with this for the rest of my life. 

Please help!!!!

advertisement

Comments

• LizLiz Posts: 9,726
    edited 04/09/2019 - 1:57 AM

Liz, 

Veritas-Health Forum Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,434

Liz posted some valuable links.

But I have a question from one of your comments:

davidjjg said:
     I just want to say I’ve never had a professionals advice, no doctors or any other professional. The reason for this is I do not want it on my medical file 

Curious, why dont you want what you have to be in your medical records?

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • advertisement
  • Jerome001Jerome001 Cocoa Beach, FloridaPosts: 377

I'm sure you have your reasons for not wanting your pain documented in your medical records but there are so many things that can be causing your pain it may be impossible for you to get relief without seeing a medical professional.

• Thanks everyone,

Main reason is for insurance purposes.. and the fact I just can’t bring myself to go to a doctor. 

I’m not even sure if a doctor is the correct professional to go to? Should I be going to a physio or some other instead? 

Any advice would get good too if you have found solutions to your own back pains!!

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,434

Just as Jerome stated, there could be many different reasons why you are having the pain.  You want to get that properly diagnosed.  Seeing a medical professional is the only sure way to identify that.

Other types of help in the medical field, can give you their opinions on what the problem is, but do not have the proper diagnostic tools to help in that matter.

The other option is seeing a pain counselor.  Its amazing how much they can discover after just a few sessions.  You would be shocked to know just how much emotional stressors, without you even knowing cause various physical problems.

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • advertisement
  • Davidjgg, I honestly can see where you don’t want it in your records depending on careers etc..etc... but truth being told, sooner or later you will have to see a MD for this. If this is a spinal nerve issue then you might be making it worse. There is treatment available for you but you need to make the first step. If not you’ll spend thousands on new mattresses and telemercials which won’t find and solve the problem. Please keep us posted!.....David

DavidG

Veritas-Health Forum Moderator

advertisement