Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

L5/S1 lumbar fusion w/ cage

Comments

• It's time for more diagnostic testing, x-ray's do not show nerves, you may need a test called a myelogram, especially since you now have hardware, a MRI will usually deflect off the hardware, it will not with a myelogram, as you have been told before, do not be ashamed to become forceful with your surgeon, tell him/her that you are in pain, it is not getting better and you need to get better.

Chip

challenger
    Veritas-Health Moderator

• Hi, I feel sorry for what you are going through.

I am 8 days post op L5/S1 PLIF with instrumentation which I believe is the same as you.

I am 26yo male, from the UK. The reason having the surgery was because of the pain in my left leg, back and groin. Since waking up from surgery this has all disappeared. The surgeon has informed me If I look after carefully i could be back to playing sports etc. I only have operation pain atm which is slowly getting better.

If I was you I would make sure you have a good surgeon, because you should not be feeling what your feeling if the surgery was a success. Make sure you do some hard research on who you choose to operate on you. The spine is no joke, you need someone who you can trust. 

I know it is only early in my recovery so I could still easily end up the same situation as you but I am only going with how I feel at this moment. Please keep me updated and I will continue to post which my rehab.

Good luck.

Adriano 

• advertisement
  • edited 05/17/2019 - 8:59 PM

I am also a very active person and had a L4-S1 fusion. You pain level is much higher than I experienced. I got 3 opinions before having my surgery and am currently having some hardware pain and I will likely get 3 opinions if I decide to do anything about that other than injections. I share this to say: getting another opinion is a good idea. I used to run, ran cross country in high school, and lifted weights. Honestly, I have had to change a lot of my behaviors. I built myself a carbon road bike and I still lift, but not the same way I did before. So, I stay active and am grateful I am able to walk let alone do all that I do (I had a Pars Defect). Im sorry you are going through this. Hang in there though, you are most likely in the same boat as me. You have your youthful healing potential on your side and you are active which means if this is a correctable situation you have a lot going for you! There are many of us who had major back surgeries who would say we are total success stories. Stay positive. You also need to be confidant and persistent in workin through the medical system. I agree with another post that "a squeaky wheel gets the grease". I think its time to aggressively move out with more opinions and pursue a wider set of treatment options.