Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

3.5 Months - Post Laminectony/Sciatica

Comments

• @L4_L5 

Thank you for your suggestion and response.  I may if Cymbalta doesn’t help.  But aside from the side effects-  Lyrica for me after insurance and a discount coupon was almost $300 for only 1 month supply.  Which I don’t have to afford monthly unfortunately.  

• Here is my update:   I had my MRI yesterday and saw the surgeon this morning.   Basically I re herniated the same disc at almost the same size as last time prior to my laminectomy.   He is recommending a revision laminectomy/discectomy for next week.   

I don’t recall doing anything to cause the disc to herniate this time around.  I’m scared and frustrated.   

• advertisement
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,526

Of course you are scared.  That is normal, especially, when you had the original surgery, you hoped that that would have taken care of everything.

Many times, with spinal disc surgeries that are not fusions, re-herniating the same disc area is always a possibility.   And as you said, you can not pinpoint to any particular action you did that might have caused this

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • Here is my update:   I had my MRI yesterday and saw the surgeon this morning.   Basically I re herniated the same disc at almost the same size as last time prior to my laminectomy.   He is recommending a revision laminectomy/discectomy for next week.   

I don’t recall doing anything to cause the disc to herniate this time around.  I’m scared and frustrated.   

• Sorry not sure why it posted twice.  

My main worry is going through with this surgery again and another possibility of herniating the same disc.  I discussed this with my doctor and he basically said it’s possible that it will happen and I will likely need a fusion (which is so extremely scary to me).   I have so many things I have already given up this last go around and yet here I am again with so much uncertainty still.   I’m young and my kids are young and I’m not sure how to cope with this.   I see a lot of people on here who continue to have surgery after surgery.  I don’t want that to be my life.  I guess I had put all my eggs in one basket this last go around so to speak.  

I know a lot of people who have success don’t continue to post on here but it sure would be so comforting to here from people who have had revision lamleniectomies   Without the need of a fusion.   

• advertisement
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,526

I had the same L4/L5 operated on 3 times to remove disc pieces.   Many times its in the control of the patient.  Doing everything that you are suppose to do, exercises, stretching, diet, etc you will reduce the chances of another herniation.

My first was when I was 28, back in 1978.  Once I started to feel better, I forgot all about the things I should do and what I shouldnt be doing.  Following surgeries in that same are, my surgeon felt was partially caused by my not listening to directions.

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • mamaAsh

I am sorry to hear about this, I had it happen after my first back surgery, I also don't know how it happened, I know it was at the 2 week mark, but I was not doing anything when I felt the pain start again, that surgery lasted 30 years, so hopefully your's will also.

Chip

challenger
    Veritas-Health Moderator

• Little bit of an update for me.  Surgery was last Wednesday with it being a revision from my December laminectomy/discectomy.  Same level L5 S1.   In December the disc was 7mm herniated and disc fragments had broken off pinching the nerve very severely.  This time it was  10mm herniated with no fragments.  I never felt the “herniation” occur this last time so I can only assume that it was a slow progression.   

So far I have had no back pain or nerve pain just incision pain up until yesterday afternoon.   So it took 6 days before it showed back up.   Hopefully it’s just the nerve healing.  However I’m doubtful.   I’m mentally preparing myself for a fusion.   Is it a bad thing that part of me just wanted to skip this revision and go straight to the fusion because I want this over with? I know that there are no guarantees with a fusion.  I think it’s just that I’m tired of this long process and the havoc it is wrecking on my life, especially my job and 3 young kids.   

I will say that the Cymbalta I’m on for nerve pain if anything is helping the depression even if it may or may not be helping the nerve pain (if it is I don’t want to be off of it just in case it is masking horrible pain).  

• mamaAsh

Glad the surgery went well, you have been through this before, so I am not telling you anything new by saying give it time, I know you are tired of hearing that,but it's true, try your best not to think about  needing another surgery as that will bring on undue stress, when that happens, everything tightens up and delays healing and causes even more pain.

I am going to post the recovery link below, you have probably read it before, but a refresher never hurts.

recovery, the most important phase - patience required

Take care and keep us posted

Chip

challenger
    Veritas-Health Moderator

• Good morning, 

Just adding to update that so far this recovery seems a little bit easier than the first go around.   Today I’m heading to the Pain Management Doctor to renew my Cymbalta prescription.  Even with the surgery I fell that it’s helping the residual nerve pain and if by chance I re herniate again (fingers crossed and praying I don’t) I would rather be on the Cymbalta to combat some nerve pain and depression that is likely to occur if that happens.   

Just taking it day by day, and doing lots of research to be prepared should this last surgery not be successful long term.  

advertisement