Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Occipital fustion skull to c3

Hi..  I’m new to this forum and would like to hear from people who
had had skull to c3 fusion. I’m scheduled for this on April 29th.. I’m a
cyclist and 8 weeks ago, a car hit me and fractured my c1. I had the
option of wearing a halo for 3 months or having the fusion surgery. At
the time, it seemed like three months in the halo was the best option,
but after 8 weeks, a cat scan shows the c1 has spread further apart and
the skull is resting on c2. Therefore, the surgeon is recommending the
fusion surgery.

I’d like to hear from anyone who’s willing to
share their experience.  Recovery time? Final outcome in terms of
pain/mobility? I’ve always been a very active person. How did you fill
the time during recovery.  I’d appreciate hearing from anyone who’d like
to share. Thank you in advance

advertisement

Comments

• WLLadyWLLady Ontario CanadaPosts: 1,486

hi dmcpeake

welcome to spine-health

please read new member guidelines and checklist 

learn how to use spine-health - take the system tutorial

i want to formally welcome you to the forum!  i have not had the surgery you will be, but had 10 levels fused from t10-s2/pelvis.  recovery was long and boring....i actually read a lot...about 60 books to be exact....and did a lot of walking, like my surgeon asked me to.  the mental recovery is the hardest i found-trying to find things to do to fill the time.  i can recommend napping-there never seemed to be enough sleep....i'm sure others will be along soon to chip in their thoughts!  again, welcome to the forum!

Kathy
    Veritas-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Dec '16 T10-S2 fusion with pelvic fixation. Laminectomies L2, L3, L4, L5, facet removal, cages L4-5, L5-S1, severe scoliosis, arthritis and stenosis repair. 

• DMC, let me start off by saying you need to buy a lotto ticket! Most C-1 fractures that I’ve been to never had a choice of a Halo or a fusion! As Kathy said Welcome to Spine-Health! You will find a wide range of members here with all spinal issues. In my time here I think the highest Cervical fracture I’ve seen was a C-2 but you will get a lot of information from other Cervical members such as myself. I truly am sorry to hear how this happened and unfortunately, it happens all to often.The one thing I can’t stress enough is to follow your surgeons instructions to a T. C-1 - C-3 are not areas to be careless about. Does your surgeon plan on Fusion plus Halo? Please keep us informed and any questions we can answer, we will be glad to help!.....David

DavidG

Veritas-Health Forum Moderator

• advertisement
  • hello DMC.   if you can follow my posts, im piperbill and am fused from C0 to C7.   Crushed C1 andC2 and left them unattended for several years, now knowing.  Been fused for 3 years now and other than having to accomplish things creatively, doing well.  Check ou my journey and if you have questions please do not hesitate to ask.  Im no DR but have been there done that and can share what worked for me.   It is a very small club with little information about C0 types of fusion.   My neurologist said he had never seen a guillotine fracture on a live person before, so I survived quite well,  take care  Bill

• Wow!  piperbill...I can only say I am so happy every thing worked out for you. That is truly amazing and hope everything continues too for you.

advertisement