Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Cervical Spine Injections

Dear all,

I'm supposed to call to schedule another cervical spine injection.  But I keep 'forgetting'.  

I realized this morning that this is because it is a 'big deal' for me to go for the injection (I'm disabled and walk with a walker) AND the first injection wore off in about 10 days.  Having the injection seems like more 'work' than it's worth.

Am I wrong?  Will having another injection perhaps be more successful?  Can it all get better?

I have such severe neck pain, but surgery is not indicated by the MRI of my neck.  So injections are the best solution.

I just need reassurance, I guess.  If that's possible.

Regards, ElaineD

advertisement

Comments

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,584

Spinal Injections are very successful for some people and not so for others.  Its impossible to identify why and why nots about these injections.

Take a look at  Spinal Injections - Help or No

And these articles:  All about Spinal Injections

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • Elaine

Many times the second injection works much better, I would encourage you to make that appointment, when you are in pain you need to try to make it better, I have had many injections, some were very successful and some not so much, but usually the second or third provided relief.

Chip

challenger
    Veritas-Health Moderator

• advertisement
  • ElaineDEElaineD Posts: 17
    edited 04/24/2019 - 7:24 AM

Thanks challenger and dilauro,

I'll try to call soon.......I AM in pain, (worst in the morning), and constantly at a lower level otherwise.

Regards, ElaineD

• nutcase007nnutcase007 United StatesPosts: 947

@ElaineD - Years ago before a scheduled session for cervical injections, I asked the physiatrist if the injections are diagnostic or therapeutic.  His answer was "yes".  So I asked him what he was trying to tell me with that answer, to which he replied, "it is what it is".  In additional discussion, he explained that injections help some people, some who get relief with one injection session and others requiring multiple injection sessions.  For other people, they never get any relief.  Then there are some people that the process is very painful, but get no relief (I fell in that group). 

The moral of my story is that most times by going through with at least two injection sessions, some diagnostic information is obtained.  Rarely is the process a total waste (so said my doctor).

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,584

The way it is used for diagnostic purposes

For example, if a patients pain is not clear to the doctor if its their hip or back, this is a procedure they doing many times  (I had it done back in 2012)

Do an epidural into the back area.   
    Also do a steroid injection into the hip

Normally done a few days apart.

If the back feels better after the injection, that will point to the back as being the problem.  
    If the hip feels better, then it points to the hip

Of course this does assume that you will get relief from any of these injections.

When I had an epidural into L2/L3, it made no difference.  But when I had the injection into my hip, the problem was then
    more isolated to the hip.   A month later I had a complete hip replacement.

Now, this does not always work as textbook as I described, but it is another tool in the doctors arsenal for diagnosing a problem

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • advertisement
  • Thanks so much, dilauro, nutcase007, and all:

I've scheduled another injection (2nd) for the 22nd of May.  I don't find the injections painful at all, thank goodness.  Just the first didn't help much.

My orthopedist knows the condition of my cervical spine (recent MRI) and would not do surgery based on what he sees.  However, surgery might be 'on the table' due to the amount of pain I experience.

That said, I probably won't ask for surgery based on pain alone,, even tho' the pain is very difficult, but worst in the morning. 

Both my shoulders are so deteriorated that my most difficult pain is related to my shoulders (especially at night).  AND both my knees are gone, as well, with surgery ruled out because the crippling nerve damage in my legs prevents me from really carrying out the PT.

I would have knee replacement surgery for sure, if the 'best' knee surgeon at Duke Medical Center hadn't told me I am not a good candidate.

In addition, I have an inflammatory condition (which actually causes the nerve damage) and so chronic inflammation sets all my damaged joints 'on fire'.  Alas.

Thanks to all of you, and I will let you know what happens after injection #2.

ElaineD

• Elaine

Glad you scheduled your injection, I hope it gives you long lasting relief.

Chip

challenger
    Veritas-Health Moderator

• The injection at C5 went fine today.  I have the usual constant low level pain and headache.  This may improve over the next week or so, I understand.  I remember last time I became more and more aware that most of my pain was gone, and then, of course, later I was more and more aware that it was returning!

I have so much other pain (shoulders and knees) that my neck pain actually 'takes a backseat' except in the early morning.

After our trip to Europe at the end of June, I may try to have a consultation my the state of my shoulders.  But after hearing that shoulder surgery is often not 100% successful, just as cervical spine surgery is often not 100% successful, I may just give up on all future joint surgery,

The top Duke knee surgeon has already ruled me out a candidate for knee joint replacement.  And my knees are the most disabling, my neck the most constant pain, and my shoulders are running a close second in both categories, the addition of sudden excruciating pain.  Just dressing in the mornings is becoming more difficult because of limited mobility and pain in my shoulders.

Of course, this forum is all about DDD!  It just seems I've 'hit the jackpot' with osteoarthritis deterioration.  

Regards, ElaineD

• nutcase007nnutcase007 United StatesPosts: 947

ElaineD - I don't understand your statement, "Of course, this forum is all about DDD!".  There are many conditions reported/discussed that have no reference to DDD.

• ALL about, not ONLY about, nutcase 007.  There is a difference.

Sigh.

I had the injection last week.  Then wound up with two days in the hospital (unrelated).  So now I still do have neck pain,, but I honestly don't know if it's less than it was before the injection.  I find pain often hard to quantify and compare from time to time.

I have this DDD in my neck since 1988.....  

I'll know if it is now better, only if it gets worse, I guess.

My orthopedist is considering offering Percutaneous Neuromodulation Therapy (PNT)

Has anyone had that treatment?

Regards, ElaineD

advertisement