Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Slow recovery from Anterior Cervical Discectomy at C5-6 and C6-7 surgery

Hi everyone, 
My husband, 67, is starting week 5 of recovery from Anterior Cervical Discectomy at C5-6 and C6-7.  He is still taking the same oxycodone and muscle relaxers as he was when he left the hospital.  The surgeon stated that his spinal cord was severely compressed.  Pre surgery he had complete numbness in both ring and pinky fingers with radiating pain going down his left arm. Fine motor skills (grip, buttoning shirts were also an issue)  His strength in both arms and hands were deteriorating quick.  Muscle mass shrinking daily.  
Post surgery - my concern - the start of week 3, both of his hands became swollen, puffy and very painful.  The hands are very cold.  He has to use both hands to pick up a mug, glass,  cannot make a fist.  He still has pain in the left arm; but more lower now.  The surgeon keeps telling us that this is normal.  He goes for his 6 week check up on May 10, they will address then.  They told us this would be a 6 week recovery and that is not even going to be close to being back to normal at 6 weeks.  The start of  week 7, he will start PT and OT.  We are praying this will help the pain in the hands.  My husband will have to have a lower back surgery as soon as he heals from this as he has had severe pain in both of his legs which is caused by spinal stenosis.  
Thank you in advance for any insight, I feel that we are moving slower than anticipated.  

advertisement

Comments

• nutcase007nnutcase007 United StatesPosts: 918

@McCarthy52 - Have you discussed the rate of recovery with the surgeon?  Since he has an office visit May 10th, maybe that is the time for the recovery discussion.  Every case is different, so I am not qualified to comment on his recovery rate.  I had severe cord compression and cord bruising at C3/C4 for my second ACDF and I was told that recovery would be a lot longer.  It was.    

• DavidGDDavidG Posts: 929
    edited 04/28/2019 - 7:20 AM

Welcome to Spine-Health

Learn how to use Spine-Health - take the System Tutorial 

McCarthy, Nutcase is correct in his comment. Everyone is different when it comes to the recovery phase. Like him, I had similar symptoms after a unsuccessful C-5 through C-7. My concern is the swelling in his hands as well as the need for oxycodone at the 5 week point. As Nutcase advised, please address this at his next MDs appointment. Again no 2 people are the same during the recovery phase but there are a lot of common symptoms that are expected and normal. Please keep us posted. Again welcome...David

DavidG

Veritas-Health Forum Moderator

• advertisement
  • Thank you both.  I should mention that the oxycodone is mainly for the pain in the hands.  

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,399

McCarthy52

Just to add something, everyone recovers different. Some people recover fully in 6 weeks where other take months. It depends on the surgery and what the surgeon had to do. Recovery takes time and patience so please read the link below.
    recovery, the most important phase - patience required

Take care of both of you and please keep us posted on his recovery. 

Sandra
    Veritas-Health Forum Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • Sandra, thank you so much.  I am hoping we will get some answers on May 10 when he goes in for the 6 week check up.  Kevin feels that if he didn't have such pain in both hands, he could wean off of the oxycodone doses.

• advertisement
advertisement