Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

severe pain, MRI showed up normal- help!

So i've always struggled with lower back pain. I would get stiffness and pain from time to time when I was younger but blamed it on poor posture. I am now 23 years old and for the past two or three months have been suffering from horrible lower back pain that radiates down to my hips and my legs. My legs will also get tingly for nor reason and for awhile i thought i had bad circulation or something.  I have been struggling with mobility as well. I get tired so easily and walking is difficult at times because my legs will get sore and heavy. I haven't been able to be as active as I normally would like to be and it's been getting in the way of day to day life. My neurologist said my MRI scans are normal but as I type this, my lower back is in severe pain and I can't move with pain shooting. I dont know what to do! I just want some relief and my doctor keeps sending me to get bloodwork and tests done only for them to come back normal. Im also tired of her using my weight as a reason. All my life I have stayed with the same weight range (medical history will prove it) and it hasnt been issue. Nonetheless, i've taken it upon myself to make weight-loss and being active a priority but I literally cant move on most days.

i dont know how else to advocate for myself :( 

advertisement

Comments

• I think it would be smart to tell your neurologist that you'd like to try physical therapy. That's usually the very first thing doctors try with new pain and it will not only show you're an advocate, but also show that you're willing to work to get past the pain. And who knows, it might even help. PT can really work wonders.

• NicoleMerced

welcome to spine-health

learn how to use spine-health - take the system tutorial 

new member information guideline / checklist 

Sorry that you are in pain, especially at such a young age, while a MRI is a very good test, there are other diagnostic test out there that could be very beneficial to your situation, pain in the hips and legs along with the tingling you describe could indicate nerve involvement, there are many conservative treatments that could be helpful, if you are not getting anywhere with the neurologist it may be time for a second or third opinion.

Chip

challenger
    Veritas-Health Moderator

• advertisement
  • Nicole, Chip is spot on ! You need more diagnostic testing to find the problem. I would recommend a 2nd opinion. Just my own opinion but your neurologist crossed the line by saying it was just your weight. Yes, weight can aggravate injuries and yes it would benefit you to lose some for a healthier lifestyle, but no one should be demoralized or criticized for it. There are more test that can be ran to find the cause of this pain. It’s hard to exercise or be motivated when you are in pain and secondly, you don’t want to cause further injury to the cause until you find out what’s going on. Please keep us posted.....David

DavidG

Veritas-Health Forum Moderator

• Go back to doctors and tell them what you have told us. You need more tests etc.

advertisement