Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Can a disc herniation cause pain in the testicles?

I have a l5s1 central disc protrusion and started having testicular pain on the right side. Spasm like somebody is pinching me there. Could this be caused by the herniation?

advertisement

Comments

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,528

Never heard a disc causing that

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • L4_L5LL4_L5 Posts: 1,452
    edited 05/03/2019 - 6:39 AM

I have the same problem but my herniated disc is at a different level. It’s been going on over three years now.

It’s probably not the herniated disc itself causing the pain but if the bulge or disc material is impressing on a nerve that can cause pain in the groin and lower extremities.

I’d book an appointment with a neurosurgeon to confirm if this is the case. 

• advertisement
  • Ryan

L5-S1 should not cause the pain that you are speaking of, but if the L2-L3 area is herniated with nerve involvement it can.

Chip

challenger
    Veritas-Health Moderator

• Thank you everyone for responding. It felt like a nerve kept spasming and made me really nervous/uncomfortable yesterday. I didn't know if it was related to my herniation as I've been dealing with low back pain for almost a year now and didn't know if it was related.

• Ryan, regardless of spinal issues, any testicular pain needs to be evaluated by a MD. One of the worst things about being a spinal patient, We all have a tendency to blame everything on our spines. That by itself creates tunnel vision which is not a good thing. I don’t know your age, but testicular Cancer is more prominent for men under 40. As well you can not rule out testicular torsion which is a medical emergency. Please follow up with your MD.....David

DavidG

Veritas-Health Forum Moderator

• advertisement
  • Yes it can.  10 years ago, I had a major herniation at L4/L5.  I had a throbbing pain in my left groin and it felt like someone was smashing my left testicle with a hammer. It was a pulsing pain and the only way I could get some relieft as to arch my pelvis so my buttocks were sticking out.  I ended up getting a lumbar fusion.

The surgeon indicated that I was the first patient he had that presented with this type of pain, but he had read about it in journals.

Having said that, since my fusion, I have had the occasional bout of groin throbbing, but it turned out to be tight groin muscles or tight glute muscles that were putting pressure on the nerve.

• @jdixon1974 how did you get doctors to listen to you? As I went to urgent care, explained I was having groin pain, have a back herniation. They gave blood work a urine sample and sent me on my way. I did an ultrasound yesterday too will have the results in a couple of days

• My pain doctor said (in his opinion, of course) it’s not helpful to get persuaded by certain words like “mild,” “moderate” or “severe” on MRI reports.

He said some people could have a large herniation but not experience pain whereas another person could have a small herniation that’s impressing on a nerve and be in a lot of pain.

Just food for thought.

advertisement